From: LondonLad on
Hi
To find a list of files within a folder no problem, but I am stuck trying to
find all folder names within a folder
In folder Music I have 900 folders of the artists name I want to loop
through each folder to check the data created.
Can you help please?
From: Dave O. on
Post the code you are using to find files at the moment because there should
be little difference between finding files and finding folders.
The best way to find files is to use the FindFirst, FindNext and FindClose
triplet of APIs, this returns files & folders and all you need to do is test
their attributes to work out which is which.
The worst way is by using the File System Object (FSO) which is utter
garbage and should avoided at any cost.

Anyway you said on an earlier message: "Finding all files with named extn on
a single drive I have no problems with", to do that you must check every
folder on a drive so you must already know how to find folders so why are
you asking here or was the previous statement not quite true?

Regards
DaveO.

From: LondonLad on
Hi Dave O
Sorry about the double post I did understand what was being said. For some
reason I could not see my original post.
I am using part of the code written by Randy Birch to get Modified date from
the folder but could not get the find folder part thats why I posted.
I am now adding FindFirstFile: Changing File and/or Folder Attributes
Recursively also by Randy not quite sure how this is getting what I want
need to investigate further.
Thanks to all who posted.

From: Dave O. on

> Hi Dave O
> Sorry about the double post I did understand what was being said. For some
> reason I could not see my original post.
> I am using part of the code written by Randy Birch to get Modified date
> from
> the folder but could not get the find folder part thats why I posted.
> I am now adding FindFirstFile: Changing File and/or Folder Attributes
> Recursively also by Randy not quite sure how this is getting what I want
> need to investigate further.
> Thanks to all who posted.

Good, look carefully at the WFD32 structure returned by
FindFirstFile/FindNextFile it contains pretty much everything you could
need, file/folder name, attributes, all 3 dates and file size well into the
Exabyte range (10^18), so using a simple recursive routine based on one from
Randy you can solve this yourself.

One tripping point you should be aware of is that dates are stored in GMT,
so you should investigate the FileTimeToLocalFileTime API. If the FileTime
date format is awkward you might want to check out FileTimeToSystemTime and
then possibly SystemTimeToVariantTime.

Regards
Dave O.

From: Kevin Provance on

"LondonLad" <LondonLad(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: Hi Dave O
: Sorry about the double post I did understand what was being said. For some
: reason I could not see my original post.
: I am using part of the code written by Randy Birch to get Modified date
from
: the folder but could not get the find folder part thats why I posted.
: I am now adding FindFirstFile: Changing File and/or Folder Attributes
: Recursively also by Randy not quite sure how this is getting what I want
: need to investigate further.
: Thanks to all who posted.
:

What did I freaking say last week? The dude was going to cut and paste in
the code and come back here whining that it doesn't work. It's like
watching a 13 year old boy with a 30 year old pro. He wants it, but he
doesn't know what to do with it.

Look, it's obvious you have no clue what you're doing...even looking at
someone elses code. That said, go to planet source code, use their search
function for MP3/music players, or maybe explorer clones and just take
whatever you find. I suggest this because no matter what you get told here,
you won't understand it. You really need to get that Dummies book I
recommended earlier if for no other reason that to understand what you are
working with.

You should also post your code, including what you have tried. It sounds
like you are saying, "I have Randy's code here, but I don't get it".
Otherwise, let's see what you have tried thus far.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: QNAN ????
Next: Find Sub Folder Name within a Folder