From: (PeteCresswell) on
My router shows an address for something it knows as "NPIA142A",
but I have no clue.

I can ping it's address, so I guess it's online.

Only thing I can think of that I've installed recently is a Davis
wireless weather station console - but that's a USB device and
when I unplug it, the problem address is still pingable.

Googling the name doesn't turn up anything.

Can anybody suggest how to find out more about it?
--
PeteCresswell
From: (PeteCresswell) on
Per (PeteCresswell):
>Only thing I can think of that I've installed recently is a Davis
>wireless weather station console

Oops. I lied: also hooked up a LogiTech Squeezebox (internet
radio). But that device is accounted for: pingable, present in
the router's explicit address list, and so-on.

I'm assuming that the problem device must be an actual piece of
hardware, since it has a MAC address. Bad assumption?
--
PeteCresswell
From: Lem on
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per (PeteCresswell):
>> Only thing I can think of that I've installed recently is a Davis
>> wireless weather station console
>
> Oops. I lied: also hooked up a LogiTech Squeezebox (internet
> radio). But that device is accounted for: pingable, present in
> the router's explicit address list, and so-on.
>
> I'm assuming that the problem device must be an actual piece of
> hardware, since it has a MAC address. Bad assumption?

If you can see its MAC address, you can find out the manufacturer (which
might help identify it):
http://aruljohn.com/mac.pl
http://www.coffer.com/mac_find/

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
Download and run this free application.
Pull its Option menu and configure it to provide max, info.
Run it and give it a minute to do its thing.
It might provide better info about all networked devices.
http://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: (PeteCresswell) on
Per Lem:

>If you can see its MAC address, you can find out the manufacturer (which
>might help identify it):
>http://aruljohn.com/mac.pl
>http://www.coffer.com/mac_find/

Bingo. It was the Ethernet card in my printer.

Thanks.
--
PeteCresswell