From: JF Mezei on
The Application "Server Admin" has a nice image of a generic server in
the main window pane (in the "Hardware" section).

How would one go about finding this inside the application ? (I'd like
to use that image as icon applied to the folder containing the server
management apps).

I tried going through the "open package contents" for Server Admin.App
file and doing a quicklook through all the .tiff files in the
"Resources" folder, but couldn't find it.

Where else could that file be ? It won't let me look at the .NIBs since
they are compiled.

I could take a picture of the window and then extract the image of the
server. But this got me curious as to where, apart from the resources
filder, images inside an application could be stored.
From: David Empson on
JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot(a)vaxination.ca> wrote:

> The Application "Server Admin" has a nice image of a generic server in
> the main window pane (in the "Hardware" section).
>
> How would one go about finding this inside the application ? (I'd like
> to use that image as icon applied to the folder containing the server
> management apps).
>
> I tried going through the "open package contents" for Server Admin.App
> file and doing a quicklook through all the .tiff files in the
> "Resources" folder, but couldn't find it.
>
> Where else could that file be ? It won't let me look at the .NIBs since
> they are compiled.
>
> I could take a picture of the window and then extract the image of the
> server. But this got me curious as to where, apart from the resources
> filder, images inside an application could be stored.

It might not be in the application at all - there could be a framework
or bundle in the system which contains a bunch of icons for use by
applications.

Have a look in /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle. I think
the one you want is Resources/com.apple.macpro.icns.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz
From: JF Mezei on
David Empson wrote:

> Have a look in /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle. I think
> the one you want is Resources/com.apple.macpro.icns.

Yippie ! Thanks. It was: com.apple.xserve.icns !

Wow, I have so much to learn about OS-X and where everything is hidden.
It is like being dropped in the middle of a maze and discovering new
stuff at every new turn !!!
From: David Empson on
JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot(a)vaxination.ca> wrote:

> David Empson wrote:
>
> > Have a look in /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle. I think
> > the one you want is Resources/com.apple.macpro.icns.
> >

> Yippie ! Thanks. It was: com.apple.xserve.icns !

Ah, it is showing the appropriate icon for the computer. My server was a
PowerMac G5, which looks like a Mac Pro in that icon.

> Wow, I have so much to learn about OS-X and where everything is hidden.
> It is like being dropped in the middle of a maze and discovering new
> stuff at every new turn !!!

Indeed. Historical knowledge from Mac OS 9 doesn't help much.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz