From: Justin Tot on
I installed Firestarter in Ubuntu Karmic and then removed it. When I now
reinstall it the menu items are not recreated.

I have used both "Ubuntu Software Centre" and Synaptic to no avail.

I have even cleaned the file system using the packaged file lists using
"sudo nautilus" but Firestarter somehow seems to "know" that it was
installed before (I set the option not to stop/start the firewall on
program start and it remembers this)

Any ideas how to properly clean the system? ... without a lump hammer.
From: Justin C on
In article <0IENm.175223$kH2.133102(a)newsfe04.ams2>, Justin Tot wrote:
> I installed Firestarter in Ubuntu Karmic and then removed it. When I now
> reinstall it the menu items are not recreated.
>
> I have used both "Ubuntu Software Centre" and Synaptic to no avail.
>
> I have even cleaned the file system using the packaged file lists using
> "sudo nautilus" but Firestarter somehow seems to "know" that it was
> installed before (I set the option not to stop/start the firewall on
> program start and it remembers this)
>
> Any ideas how to properly clean the system? ... without a lump hammer.

Is there a version of deborphan for Ubuntu?

dpkg --purge -- `deborphan`

clears a lot of junk on a Debian system.

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
From: Justin Tot on
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 23:40:19 +0000, Justin C wrote:

> In article <0IENm.175223$kH2.133102(a)newsfe04.ams2>, Justin Tot wrote:
>> I installed Firestarter in Ubuntu Karmic and then removed it. When I
>> now reinstall it the menu items are not recreated.
>>
>> I have used both "Ubuntu Software Centre" and Synaptic to no avail.
>>
>> I have even cleaned the file system using the packaged file lists using
>> "sudo nautilus" but Firestarter somehow seems to "know" that it was
>> installed before (I set the option not to stop/start the firewall on
>> program start and it remembers this)
>>
>> Any ideas how to properly clean the system? ... without a lump hammer.
>
> Is there a version of deborphan for Ubuntu?
>
> dpkg --purge -- `deborphan`
>
> clears a lot of junk on a Debian system.
>
> Justin.

Thanks for that. I'll give it a try.

I DID find that Firestarter (probably a hangover from windows
programming) leaves lots of stuff in the %GCONF.xml file which needs to
be removed ... hence the orphaned "keys".

Pages: 1
Prev: NTSC -> PAL conversion
Next: Amateur radio