From: sl on
Someone says if one does not know the difference between "equility" and
"equivalence", then one is an entry-level developer at best.

What is your opnion ? (I think we should not talk about mathematical
concepts, since it is the software developer in question.)

Thanks.

From: Jeroen Mostert on
On 2010-03-12 4:07, sl(a)my-rialto wrote:
> Someone says if one does not know the difference between "equility" and
> "equivalence", then one is an entry-level developer at best.

Well, you'd be a bad speaker of English at best, since "equility" ain't a
word. But that's neither here nor there. :-)

I don't think many programmer would have difficulty understanding the
difference between "being the same" and "being considered the same", even if
they couldn't give you a concise framework.

In the context of programming languages, insisting on this may be
counterproductive. Most programming languages use multiple equivalences, all
written down with the equality operator; some allow the programmer to
overload it to build their own equivalences. The exact theory behind this is
seldom useful.

Great if you can tell what the difference between equality and equivalence
is, better if you can explain how to properly overload .Equals() and what "a
== b" means if a and b are strings. If you can do this you probably also
have a useful model of equality and equivalence in your head somewhere. If
you can't, well, there's room to learn, but you can do plenty of impressive
things without it.

All these "if you don't know X you must be stupid" arguments are silly.
There's no simple way of measuring worth by nuggets of knowledge possessed,
and if you don't know that you must be stupid.

--
J.
From: Ulrich Eckhardt on
sl(a)my-rialto wrote:
> Someone says if one does not know the difference between "equility" and
> "equivalence", then one is an entry-level developer at best.

I just looked up what equility means, I guess you mean equality. That said,
blaming someone for not knowing a foreign language and the finest nuances
of what a term could mean, plus additionally the jargon for some field,
barely allows distinguishing entry-level from non entry-level.

That said, the distinction between equality and equivalence is subtle and
IMHO not very important. Much more important is the distinction between
equality and identity.

Uli

--
Sator Laser GmbH

From: sl on
sl(a)my-rialto wrote:
> Someone says if one does not know the difference between "equility"
> and "equivalence", then one is an entry-level developer at best.

My apology; "equility" should be "equality".