From: Singburi Sam on
On Mar 25, 10:27 pm, Singburi Sam <singburi_...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mar 25, 10:44 am, JD <J...(a)example.invalid> wrote:
> .
> > Singburi Sam wrote:
> > > Clicking on My Computer works OK, then I click on "Local Disk (C:)"
> > > Now I get a window with a list of programs: which program
> > > would I like to use to open C:?  !!!
> .
> > Obviously something is wrong, I'm just not sure what it is.
> .
> [It is possibly result of malware]

I stumbled upon the source of the problem;
fix was easy.

The C: root directory had a file "autorun.inf"
whose contents were
> [AutoRun]
> open=yu3.exe
> shell\open\Command=yu3.exe

There seemed to be no "yu3.exe". I'll guess
that both yu3.exe and autorun.inf were results of
malware; that AdAware deleted the former, but
neglected to delete the autorun.inf. Windows,
unable to find yu3.exe, does the "Which program?"

How I stumbled upon this might be interesting,
but irrelevant here. The task was made more
difficult in that "autorun.inf" is, I guess,
an "hidden file." Questions:

1. How do I get Windows to display hidden files?
2. Do experienced Windows users regard the
hiddenness of hidden files to be a useful feature
or a flaw?

Sam

From: JD on
Singburi Sam wrote:
> On Mar 25, 10:27 pm, Singburi Sam<singburi_...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Mar 25, 10:44 am, JD<J...(a)example.invalid> wrote:
>> .
>> .
>>> Obviously something is wrong, I'm just not sure what it is.
>> .
>> [It is possibly result of malware]
>
> I stumbled upon the source of the problem;
> fix was easy.
>
> The C: root directory had a file "autorun.inf"
> whose contents were
>> [AutoRun]
>> open=yu3.exe
>> shell\open\Command=yu3.exe
>
> There seemed to be no "yu3.exe". I'll guess
> that both yu3.exe and autorun.inf were results of
> malware; that AdAware deleted the former, but
> neglected to delete the autorun.inf. Windows,
> unable to find yu3.exe, does the "Which program?"
>
> How I stumbled upon this might be interesting,
> but irrelevant here. The task was made more
> difficult in that "autorun.inf" is, I guess,
> an "hidden file." Questions:
>
> 1. How do I get Windows to display hidden files?
> 2. Do experienced Windows users regard the
> hiddenness of hidden files to be a useful feature
> or a flaw?
>
> Sam

Control Panel, Folder Options, View Tab. Hidden file and folders. Show
hidden files and folders. I also unselect Hide extensions for known file
types and Hide protected operating system files. But that's just me.

I'm the only person that uses this computer. If I had children using the
computer they would not have theirs set this way.

--
JD..
From: BluesBoy on
Singburi Sam <singburi_sam(a)yahoo.com> wrote in news:42bc86e5-ef7f-4c77-
89ed-d3d7de9e5373(a)k5g2000pra.googlegroups.com:

Wow! Sounds like you're moving beyond novice whether you like it or not!

;-)

BB

Pages: 1
Prev: Poor compression