From: Gus Richter on
On 5/21/2010 7:57 PM, dorayme wrote:
> In article<ht6doq$5dl$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> Gus Richter<gusrichter(a)netscape.net> wrote:
>
>> On 5/21/2010 11:20 AM, Mark Smith wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I was wondering in the following example, is it possible to make
>>> divMiddleContainer dynamically expand to fill all available horizontal
>>> space without pushing divOpenContainer and and divCloseContainer onto
>>> another line?
>>>
>>> divOpenContainer and divCloseContainer need fixed widths because they
>>> will contain images.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any suggestions.
>>
>> Run this modified version:

>> #divMiddleContainer{
>> background-color:red;
>> text-align:center;
>> }

>> The idea here is to float the left div left, the right div right and to
>> allow the middle one to "flow" between the two.
>
> Give MiddleContainer a left and right margin of 50px if you don't
> want content spilling underneath the left and right areas.

Give them a fish ......., but if you give them a net .......
I gave a specific response. Further questions may follow, depending ....

--
Gus

From: Mark Smith on
On May 21, 5:52 pm, Gus Richter <gusrich...(a)netscape.net> wrote:
> On 5/21/2010 11:20 AM, Mark Smith wrote:
>
> > Hello,
>
> > I was wondering in the following example, is it possible to make
> > divMiddleContainer dynamically expand to fill all available horizontal
> > space without pushing divOpenContainer and and divCloseContainer onto
> > another line?
>
> > divOpenContainer and divCloseContainer need fixed widths because they
> > will contain images.
>
> > Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> Run this modified version:

Thank you! That worked very well.

Just one problem. When I give the divs either a background image or a
border I see a vertical white gaps between the divs in... *drum roll*
IE6 only!

Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks

div {border:1px solid black}

#divOpenContainer{
width:15px;
height: 54px;
/*background-image:url(left.png);*/
background-color:red;
float:left;
}
#divCloseContainer{
width:15px;
height: 54px;
/*background-image:url(right.png);*/
background-color:red;
float:right;
}
#divMiddleContainer{
/*background-image: url(middle.png);
background-repeat:repeat-x;*/
background-color:green;
height: 54px;
text-align:center;
}

From: Gus Richter on
On 5/24/2010 5:44 AM, Mark Smith wrote:
> On May 21, 5:52 pm, Gus Richter<gusrich...(a)netscape.net> wrote:
>> On 5/21/2010 11:20 AM, Mark Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>
>>> I was wondering in the following example, is it possible to make
>>> divMiddleContainer dynamically expand to fill all available horizontal
>>> space without pushing divOpenContainer and and divCloseContainer onto
>>> another line?
>>
>>> divOpenContainer and divCloseContainer need fixed widths because they
>>> will contain images.
>>
>>> Thanks for any suggestions.
>>
>> Run this modified version:
>>

> Thank you! That worked very well.
>
> Just one problem. When I give the divs either a background image or a
> border I see a vertical white gaps between the divs in... *drum roll*
> IE6 only!
>
> Is there a way to fix this?

I have no idea.
Google for IE6 bugs and IE6 bug fixes

Good Luck.

--
Gus

From: Mark Smith on
On May 25, 6:54 am, Gus Richter <gusrich...(a)netscape.net> wrote:
> On 5/24/2010 5:44 AM, Mark Smith wrote:

> >> Run this modified version:
>
> > Thank you! That worked very well.
>
> > Just one problem. When I give the divs either a background image or a
> > border I see a vertical white gaps between the divs in... *drum roll*
> > IE6 only!
>
> > Is there a way to fix this?
>
> I have no idea.
> Google for   IE6 bugs   and   IE6 bug fixes
>
> Good Luck.
>
> --
> Gus

FWIW, I fixed this using an underscore hack. Adding _margin-
right:-3px; and _margin-left:-3px; to the divs on either side
respectively closed the gap!
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Mark Smith wrote:

> Gus Richter wrote:
>> Mark Smith wrote:
>> > Just one problem. When I give the divs either a background image or a
>> > border I see a vertical white gaps between the divs in... *drum roll*
>> > IE6 only!
>> >
>> > Is there a way to fix this?
>>
>> I have no idea.
>> Google for IE6 bugs and IE6 bug fixes
>> [...]
>
> FWIW, I fixed this using an underscore hack. Adding _margin-
> right:-3px; and _margin-left:-3px; to the divs on either side
> respectively closed the gap!

I sense much bogosity in you. Bogosity leads to dirty hacks, dirty hacks
lead to error-proneness, error-proneness leads to suffering. This is the
path to the Dark Side.

PointedEars
--
var bugRiddenCrashPronePieceOfJunk = (