From: Steve on

So I made my first CSS blog theme
http://bundergroundrailroad.org/blog/

( you can get the "style.css" by saving the page in firefox with the
"web page complete" option)

The header, content and footer are all wrapped in a div, called
"wrapper".

I'm using "wrapper" to successfully center it as well give it a buffer
between the top of the header and the top of the screen. I haven't
had any luck with putting space between the bottom of the footer and
the bottom of the screen.

Any ideas what I am not doing?

Thanks

Steve
From: Jeff Thies on
Steve wrote:
> So I made my first CSS blog theme
> http://bundergroundrailroad.org/blog/
>
> ( you can get the "style.css" by saving the page in firefox with the
> "web page complete" option)
>
> The header, content and footer are all wrapped in a div, called
> "wrapper".
>
> I'm using "wrapper" to successfully center it as well give it a buffer
> between the top of the header and the top of the screen. I haven't
> had any luck with putting space between the bottom of the footer and
> the bottom of the screen.

I have no problem with absolutely positioning stuff when it is
useful, but here there is no reason for it on the wrapper and it is
working against you to boot. You can simply set margins. As far as
having no spacing on the bottom, you can either add some bottom margin
to the wrapper or simply add bottom padding to the body.

I haven't looked to far into your html, so I may have this off a bit.

> Any ideas what I am not doing?

It's more like doing too much, for no apparent reason.

Jeff

From: Rob W. on
Op 21-5-2010 3:32, Steve schreef:
[snipped]

> ( you can get the "style.css" by saving the page in firefox with the
> "web page complete" option)

[snipped]

> Any ideas what I am not doing?

You're probably not using the Web Developer extension, made by Chris
Pederick (e.g. for viewing the CSS-file).
<http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/help/>

You're probably not using the Firebug add-on
it lets you make instant changes to the CSS and see immediately the
effects they have.

> Thanks
>
> Steve

You're welcome

--
Rob

From: dorayme on
In article <4bf63f6c$0$22903$e4fe514c(a)news.xs4all.nl>,
"Rob W." <robwaaijenberg(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Op 21-5-2010 3:32, Steve schreef:
> [snipped]
> >
> > ( you can get the "style.css" by saving the page in firefox with the
> > "web page complete" option)
> >
> [snipped]
> >
> > Any ideas what I am not doing?
>

> You're probably not using the Web Developer extension, made by Chris
> Pederick (e.g. for viewing the CSS-file).
> <http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/help/>
>
> You're probably not using the Firebug add-on
> it lets you make instant changes to the CSS and see immediately the
> effects they have.

Last time I looked in the web developer there seemed to be one
stylesheet seeming to duplicating another. I agree with Jeff,
could not see the need for the absolute positioning. The simplest
way to centre a block element is to give it a width and auto left
margin and right margin.

--
dorayme
From: Gus Richter on
On 5/20/2010 9:32 PM, Steve wrote:

> So I made my first CSS blog theme
> http://bundergroundrailroad.org/blog/
>
> ( you can get the "style.css" by saving the page in firefox with the
> "web page complete" option)
>
> The header, content and footer are all wrapped in a div, called
> "wrapper".
>
> I'm using "wrapper" to successfully center it as well give it a buffer
> between the top of the header and the top of the screen. I haven't
> had any luck with putting space between the bottom of the footer and
> the bottom of the screen.
>
> Any ideas what I am not doing?

You have a duplication of stylesheet caused, I believe, by you trying to
remove the embedded stylesheet call with the html comment tags instead
of the css comment tags within the style attribute (or alternately by
placing the html comment tags outside of the style attribute). [There
was another reason for those html comments inside the style attribute,
but that was ages ago, no longer valid and should not be used that way.]

Having resolved down to only one stylesheet, then you can play around
with your "Vertical Centering" request. You can look into trying the
possibilities described in:

<http://www.student.oulu.fi/~laurirai/www/css/middle/>

Another thing of concern is that of your linked (blog) document's lack
of doctype which puts the browsers into Quircks Mode and messing up the
results for different browsers. Doesn't WordPress provide any for your
xhtml document? I recommend using the Strict Doctype.

--
Gus