From: Steve on
On May 21, 4:08 am, "Rob W." <robwaaijenb...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> You're probably not using the Web Developer extension, made by Chris
> Pederick (e.g. for viewing the CSS-file).
> <http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/help/>
>
> You're probably not using the Firebug add-on
> it lets you make instant changes to the CSS and see immediately the
> effects they have.

Did not know about this tool. Bookmarked. Thanks.
From: Steve on
On May 21, 12:27 pm, Gus Richter <gusrich...(a)netscape.net> wrote:
> Another thing of concern is that of your linked (blog) document's lack
> of doctype which puts the browsers into Quircks Mode and messing up the
> results for different browsers. Doesn't WordPress provide any for your
> xhtml document? I recommend using the Strict Doctype.

Fixed, thanks for pointing this out. I did not know about it ( noob )
From: Steve on
On May 21, 1:02 pm, Ed Mullen <e...(a)edmullen.net> wrote:
> 1.  You're not setting a sensible font size.  A body font size of 90% is
> bad.  And your layout is not fluid.  Here's what your site looks like
> when I increase text size enough so I can actually read the page:
>
> http://edmullen.net/temp/cap0521a.jpg

Useful feeback. I Increased the font size in the main content area.

As as being fluid goes, do you have any other suggestions? Im
starting off in all of this so the feedback is very helpful.

Steve
From: Gus Richter on
On 5/21/2010 5:32 PM, Steve wrote:

>> Another thing of concern is that of your linked (blog) document's lack
>> of doctype which puts the browsers into Quircks Mode and messing up the
>> results for different browsers. Doesn't WordPress provide any for your
>> xhtml document? I recommend using the Strict Doctype.
>
> Like I wrote, this thread is giving a good education.
>
> Do you mean something like this?
>
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://
> www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

Yes, except you seem to have a space where is should not be and which
may or may not be important. If unsure, use the official version as:

The xmlns attribute may be ok for GB, not sure, but the lang attribute
must also be included per Compatibility Guidelines. For me it would be:

> I'm brand new to all of this, I will learn more, but what is a doctype
> or xhtml, why do they matter?

HTML 4.01 is the latest Recommended version by the W3C. Here is the
official document:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/
XHTML 1.0 is a subset of HTML 4.01 and here is the official document:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/
HTML5 appears to be the next generation on the immediate horizon and I
will give you this link and you can continue from there (to the W3C
and/or WHATWG versions) if interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5
It offers a ver simple DTD and eliminates the use of the XML NameSpace
attribute.

Doctype is important because:

1. It informs a reader as to which html or xhtml version the document is
stating to be in conformance with (here XHTML 1.0 and Strict).

2. Older browsers do not look at the DocType Definition (DTD) and
essentially render in their particular Quirky Mode, no matter which DTD
is used. The new standards conforming browsers, on the other hand, check
the DTD, and depending on the DTD used, will render either according to
the Standards or according to the browser's Quirky Mode. This is called
"doctype switching" or "doctype sniffing".
Check out:
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/doctype/
and check your Transitional DocType (the one you are presently using)
with the one is the listing immediately above it (Strict). The one
causes some browsers to be in "Almost Standards Mode" and the other in
"Standards Mode". Why settle for "some" browsers' Quirky behavior?

Happy Reading ......

PS & Caveat: I'm not into Blogs and know nothing about WordPress which
you apparently are using, hence you may have to use XHTML. If not, I
would advise to use HTML Strict instead, since it seems to me you have
no XML, SVG, MathML requirements.

--
Gus

From: dorayme on
In article <ht7g2f$eal$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Gus Richter <gusrichter(a)netscape.net> wrote:

> Doctype is important because:
>
> 1. It informs a reader as to which html or xhtml version the document is
> stating to be in conformance with

It would be the rare reader that would be interested.

--
dorayme