From: Gus Richter on
On 5/24/2010 8:05 PM, dorayme wrote:
> In article<ht8oiu$i0$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> Gus Richter<gusrichter(a)netscape.net> wrote:
>
>> On 5/21/2010 11:27 PM, dorayme wrote:

>>> It would be the rare reader that would be interested.
>>
>> Do you not see that the thing being read refers to the source and
>> therefore ANYONE that is reading the darn thing WOULD BE interested?
>
> There are a lot of things I don't see. I don't see users of
> websites being interested and I don't see that ANYONE (if we must
> shout) reading sources WOULD BE interested.

Anyone that is looking at the source whether it is your _user_ or
whoever should look at the DocType Declaration in order to know whether
the author was intending to write to the Standards, browser quirks or
frames. Additionally it _should_ be of interest if s/he was writing to
comply with 4.01, 3.2 or whatever.

> I often have a quick
> look at source without it being a point of curiosity for me what
> doctype is being used. As far as I know, the importance of
> doctypes is to do with the mere presence of them (often it being
> unimportant which doctype is used) causing desirable things to do
> with predictable presentation.

The mere presence of _any_ DocType is not enough. It is important which
one is used. Don't forget about html vis-a-vis xhtml. A few years down
the road, it will explain why your page is broken in HTML5.5 conforming
browsers when your page was authored to html 4.01 .

If the author was conscientious about using the proper DocType, it will
alert you as to the reason things may not be working properly. For
example it may not be due to crappy work, but because it's a case of
work done geared to legacy browsers.

> And the other thing that is
> important is that it acts to alert (on validation tests) the
> author of things he or she would not want to miss.

The Validator will report errors to the DocType used, so it is also
important which one is used for this reason.

--
Gus