From: BootNic on
On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 00:03:21 +0100
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> wrote:

> BootNic wrote:
>
>> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> wrote:

>>> A syntax element of CSS (CSS 3 Selectors PR, to be precise) is used
>>> to prevent a rule from being applied to one or more elements in
>>> user agents that do not support that syntax element.
>>
>> Backwards thinking that is. It is used to apply not deny.
>
> It was a reasonable assumption given that you used to to provide an
> argument against Conditional Comments and did not provide any
> property declarations, let alone explanations.

An alternative to a conditional comment is not the same as argument
against. In Jonathan's example there is no need for it. There are a few
ways to apply the rules to the tbody without the need to use a
conditional comment to fix IE7.

Now if it were stated that a condition comment was best rather
then the only reliable means, that I would agree with.

>>> You are the one to use this selector as a counter-argument, you
>>> provide that example.
>>>
>>> Suffice it for me to say that if a user agent supports this
>>> selector, the property declarations of it are supposed to be
>>> applied. However, *again*, the property declarations have nothing
>>> to do with the support of the selector, those are *seperate*
>>> issues. And that is the very problem with this approach, that is
>>> what makes it evidentially (sic!) error-prone.
>>
>> If this line of thinking is followed, no one would use any css3 at
>> all.
>
> Your logic is flawed.

>>> Most certainly it doesn't. This rule is either ignored by the
>>> MSHTML version is intended for and all previous versions, or it is
>>> supported by the MSHTML version it is intended for and all newer
>>> versions. By contrast to Conditional Comments, it does _not_ and
>>> can _not_ target only _one_ specific version.
>>
>> If anything was targeted, it would be UAs that support :root.
>
> Not necessarily.

>>> Parse error.
>>
>> The point is what? What is a UA to do when it cannot parse a
>> selector?
>
> The point is that your statement does not make sense.

They are questions not statements.

--
BootNic Thu Mar 4, 2010 08:46 pm
Curious things, habits. People themselves never knew they had them.

⁕ 130 days remaining
From: Jonathan N. Little on
BootNic wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 00:03:21 +0100
> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn<PointedEars(a)web.de> wrote:
>
>> BootNic wrote:

>>> The point is what? What is a UA to do when it cannot parse a
>>> selector?
>>
>> The point is that your statement does not make sense.
>
> They are questions not statements.

I know what they are supposed to do, ignore the rule for that selector.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
BootNic wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> wrote:
>> BootNic wrote:

>>> Backwards thinking that is. It is used to apply not deny.
>> It was a reasonable assumption given that you used to to provide an
>> argument against Conditional Comments and did not provide any
>> property declarations, let alone explanations.
>
> An alternative to a conditional comment is not the same as argument
> against. In Jonathan's example there is no need for it.

Yes, there is. MSHTML 7 supports the `height' property on a TBODY element
but does so incorrectly, giving each row that height instead.

> There are a few ways to apply the rules to the tbody without the need to
> use a conditional comment to fix IE7.

Name them.

> Now if it were stated that a condition comment was best rather
> then the only reliable means, that I would agree with.

In this case (targeting a specific version of a specific user agent) it
sure looks as being the only (reliable) means.

>>> The point is what? What is a UA to do when it cannot parse a
>>> selector?
>> The point is that your statement does not make sense.
>
> They are questions not statements.

"It makes no since to trigger an issue then fix it when it can
simply be avoided." is a statement, and it does not make sense.

PointedEars
From: dorayme on
In article <1290152.kT8p0MMh6R(a)PointedEars.de>,

!

--
dorayme
From: Nick Theodorakis on
On Mar 4, 4:29 pm, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedE...(a)web.de>
wrote:
> Nick Theodorakis wrote:

> P.S.: Your signature delimiter is borken.

Yeah, I know. I lost my real newsfeed and I'm too cheap to pay for a
new one. Google groups strips off the trailing space. I still put it
there when I post, in case they ever fix it on their end.

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis
nick_theodorakis(a)hotmail.com