From: Nitro on
In have a Casio Exilim compact camera.

I sometimes set the color balance manually. When I use the inbuilt flash
the camera overrides the manual color balance.

Is this flash override also found in compact cameras by other major brands
like Canon, Nikon, etc?
From: Robert Coe on
:
: I sometimes set the color balance manually. When I use the inbuilt flash
: the camera overrides the manual color balance.
:
: Is this flash override also found in compact cameras by other major brands
: like Canon, Nikon, etc?

My guess is that you're using a general flash setting that includes a preset
value for the white balance (and probably also the shutter speed). Check the
instruction manual; there may be another way to turn on the flash that doesn't
have the side effects.

Bob
From: Vance on
On Apr 3, 7:17 am, Robert Coe <b...(a)1776.COM> wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 11:14:30 +0100, Nitro <inva...(a)nospaml.com> wrote:
>
> : In have a Casio Exilim compact camera.
> :
> : I sometimes set the color balance manually. When I use the inbuilt flash
> : the camera overrides the manual color balance.
> :
> : Is this flash override also found in compact cameras by other major brands
> : like Canon, Nikon, etc?
>
> My guess is that you're using a general flash setting that includes a preset
> value for the white balance (and probably also the shutter speed). Check the
> instruction manual; there may be another way to turn on the flash that doesn't
> have the side effects.
>
> Bob

Like Bob said, there may be a way of overriding the auto setting of
the WB to something other than the default 5500K of the flash, but it
won't be with any of the preset modes. It might be possible if the
camera has the capacity for manual settings.

As a design decision in a P&S it makes sense to automatically set the
white balance for flash when the flash is used because the assumption
(reasonably) is that the flash is lighting the subject and you want
the colors of the subject to be 'true' to life. Under average
circumstances, taking the average picture, it's a good built in
decision for the average picture taker.

Vance