From: gaikokujinkyofusho on
I have a WRT54G router with v7.00.1 firmware (serial number starting
CDFE1...) and I would like to flash it with one of the Linux firmware
distros (for better QoS, user restriction management, etc) but I read
on the Tomato site (http://www.polarcloud.com/
tomatofaq#how_do_i_find_my_linksys_wrt54) that my router doesn't seem
to be supported and similar on the Bitsum (http://www.bitsum.com/
openwiking/owbase/ow.asp?WRT54G5%5FCFE) site.

My question is: Is there a relatively full featured Linux firmware
"upgrade" that will work on my model of WRT54G router? Any help or
suggestions would really be appreciated!

Cheers

-Gaiko

From: Doug Mitton on
gaikokujinkyofusho(a)gmail.com wrote:

>I have a WRT54G router with v7.00.1 firmware (serial number starting
>CDFE1...) and I would like to flash it with one of the Linux firmware
>distros (for better QoS, user restriction management, etc) but I read
>on the Tomato site (http://www.polarcloud.com/
>tomatofaq#how_do_i_find_my_linksys_wrt54) that my router doesn't seem
>to be supported and similar on the Bitsum (http://www.bitsum.com/
>openwiking/owbase/ow.asp?WRT54G5%5FCFE) site.
>
>My question is: Is there a relatively full featured Linux firmware
>"upgrade" that will work on my model of WRT54G router? Any help or
>suggestions would really be appreciated!
>
>Cheers
>
>-Gaiko

You will probably get a few responses to this but I don't think the
VxWorks based units are Linux compatible. That is WRT54G units
starting with V5.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Hardware/Linksys/WRT54G?highlight=%28OpenWrtDocs/Hardware/Linksys%29

I don't think there is an easy solution to this and the Linux
compatible units are REALLY scarce in the stores and even getting
difficult to find on EBay.

Good luck!

(I have set the follow up to only comp.os.linux.networking.)
http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
SPAM Reduction: Remove "x." from my domain.
From: ***** charles on
<gaikokujinkyofusho(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a WRT54G router with v7.00.1 firmware (serial number starting
> CDFE1...) and I would like to flash it with one of the Linux firmware
> distros (for better QoS, user restriction management, etc) but I read
> on the Tomato site (http://www.polarcloud.com/
> tomatofaq#how_do_i_find_my_linksys_wrt54) that my router doesn't seem
> to be supported and similar on the Bitsum (http://www.bitsum.com/
> openwiking/owbase/ow.asp?WRT54G5%5FCFE) site.
>
> My question is: Is there a relatively full featured Linux firmware
> "upgrade" that will work on my model of WRT54G router? Any help or
> suggestions would really be appreciated!
>
> Cheers
>
> -Gaiko

Unfortunately you bought the wrong router. Linksys used to make
WRT's that could be flashed with a different OS. When they decided
to make cheaper models with smaller amounts of ram that was their
downfall. Now Linksys makes two different models of WRT one is
called the WRT54G which you have and is not (as I know) upgradeable
and a WRT54GL, the L being the Linux model. Since the L model
has more ram and it costs a few bucks more that is the one flashers
tend to buy. It is the only one I sell to customers since I know the
limitations of the regular model. I don't know if ever the regular model
will be "upgradeable" since hackers can do wonders sometimes. I
sold all my wireless routers several months ago since I am waiting for
the 802.11n stuff to be ratified, more power longer distance.

later,
charles.....

From: Ignoramus3778 on
Can someone give me a quick rundown why a router benefits from being
flashed by Linux?

I mean, a router should do wifi and routing, I cannot see what else it
could do?

I am sure that I am missing something, but I do not know what it is.

From: Grant Edwards on
On 2007-09-24, Ignoramus3778 <ignoramus3778(a)NOSPAM.3778.invalid> wrote:

> Can someone give me a quick rundown why a router benefits from being
> flashed by Linux?

I assume you mean flashed with one of the open-firmware
versions of Linux?

http://openwrt.org/

1) You get to pick what features you want and don't want.

2) The open-firmware projects have a lot of advanced features
that stock firmware doesn't (QoS, VPN support, bridging
modes, better DHCP/DNS integration, etc.)

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'm having a MID-WEEK
at CRISIS!