From: Alex Buell on
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 09:05:17 -0400, I waved a wand and this message
magically appears in front of Doug Mitton:

> You will probably get a few responses to this but I don't think the
> VxWorks based units are Linux compatible. That is WRT54G units
> starting with V5.
>
> http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Hardware/Linksys/WRT54G?highlight=%28OpenWrtDocs/Hardware/Linksys%29

I have a WRT54GS v5.1 working perfectly with dd-wrt. I love it to bits!

See www.dd-wrt.com for further details
--
http://www.munted.org.uk

Fearsome grindings.
From: CptDondo on
Ignoramus3778 wrote:
> Can someone give me a quick rundown why a router benefits from being
> flashed by Linux?
>
> I mean, a router should do wifi and routing, I cannot see what else it
> could do?

One of mine does:

take pictures at intervals as I travel via gphoto2
act as a GPS server for my handheld
download digital cameras
automagically link up with my home routers and dump pics and route into
to home server
Oh, and yeah, act as a route.

Another one does:

act as a firewall, nat, and such (pretty normal there, except that it
also acts as a bridge to the above router, and automagically connects
once the van is in range)

Yet another one:

runs a secure connection to a public demo
isolates my test lan from the corporate lan
acts as DHCP server

In other words, it's a regular linux box with all the capabilities,
limited only by size of flash (4 - 8 MB) and RAM (8 - 32 MB).

--Yan
From: § on
CptDondo wrote:
> Ignoramus3778 wrote:
>> Can someone give me a quick rundown why a router benefits from being
>> flashed by Linux?
>>
>> I mean, a router should do wifi and routing, I cannot see what else it
>> could do?
>
> One of mine does:
>
> take pictures at intervals as I travel via gphoto2
> act as a GPS server for my handheld
> download digital cameras
> automagically link up with my home routers and dump pics and route into
> to home server
> Oh, and yeah, act as a route.
>
> Another one does:
>
> act as a firewall, nat, and such (pretty normal there, except that it
> also acts as a bridge to the above router, and automagically connects
> once the van is in range)
>
> Yet another one:
>
> runs a secure connection to a public demo
> isolates my test lan from the corporate lan
> acts as DHCP server
>
> In other words, it's a regular linux box with all the capabilities,
> limited only by size of flash (4 - 8 MB) and RAM (8 - 32 MB).

Also VPN, wifi signal strength and segmentation to name other uses.
From: § on
Ignoramus30458 wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 08:43:11 -0700, CptDondo <yan(a)NsOeSiPnAeMr.com> wrote:
>> act as a GPS server for my handheld
>
> How does it act as a GPS server? Does it have a built in GPS receiver?

I'm interested in the function as well.

> My own feeling about all this is that a regular Linux box can do those
> routing things with more convenience.

The convenience factor for me was *not* tying up another pc and spending
the time for a linux install/config.

The DD-WRT flash and config took all of about 15 minutes total.

> I have a network at home with NATs, private subnets, etc, all
> controlled by a regular Linux computer acting as a firewall.

Still a very good way of doing it.
From: CptDondo on
Ignoramus30458 wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 08:43:11 -0700, CptDondo <yan(a)NsOeSiPnAeMr.com> wrote:
>> act as a GPS server for my handheld
>
> How does it act as a GPS server? Does it have a built in GPS receiver?

It's got a $30 USB GPS puck.

> My own feeling about all this is that a regular Linux box can do those
> routing things with more convenience.

It *is* a regular linux box. There is no way a "regular" computer would
work in a van; the energy use alone would kill the batteries.

> I have a network at home with NATs, private subnets, etc, all
> controlled by a regular Linux computer acting as a firewall.

A MIPS-based router only uses about 120 ma @ 12vdc IIRC, has no fans and
no moving parts. With the OS on flash, you don't have to worry about
power conditioning. You can set it up and forget it. One of mine is in
an attic, in heat and cold.

Your regular computer probably uses about 75 watts, has fans and a hard
drive that can fail, and needs to be in a conditioned environment with a
UPS. And your regular computer still needs a switch to operate, or must
have additional hardware to act as a switch on its own.

These little units have a built-in 6 port switch with vlan capability.

--Yan