From: Nobody on
Peter P. may have an answer or suggestion about this: I've spent a few
hours testing Firefox 3.5.5 against SeaMonkey 2.0 and I'm puzzled
about embedded video playback quality loss.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Video/Nightline/tabid/368/articleID/131517/cat/64/Default.aspx#video

The above is one of many clips I've tried that obviously have much
poorer quality playback using FF, even though I can see that my
setting in Adobe Flasplayer 10 is set at "high".

I'm running Win XP Home SP3 for information's sake.

When I go and look at cache in SM 2.0 after viewing the newsclip in
better quality, I see the file size is ~4500kb.

In FF, it's only ~1800kb.

Is there something I've not got set correctly in FF?

Disabling/enabling AdBlock doesn't make any difference.

Now if AdBlock Plus 1.1.1 worked with SM 2.0 I might not be looking at
FF!

Thanks in advance.
From: Nobody on
>Peter P. may have an answer or suggestion about this: I've spent a few
>hours testing Firefox 3.5.5 against SeaMonkey 2.0 and I'm puzzled
>about embedded video playback quality loss.
>
>http://www.3news.co.nz/Video/Nightline/tabid/368/articleID/131517/cat/64/Default.aspx#video
>
>The above is one of many clips I've tried that obviously have much
>poorer quality playback using FF, even though I can see that my
>setting in Adobe Flasplayer 10 is set at "high".
>
>I'm running Win XP Home SP3 for information's sake.
>
>When I go and look at cache in SM 2.0 after viewing the newsclip in
>better quality, I see the file size is ~4500kb.
>
>In FF, it's only ~1800kb.
>
>Is there something I've not got set correctly in FF?
>
>Disabling/enabling AdBlock doesn't make any difference.
>
>Now if AdBlock Plus 1.1.1 worked with SM 2.0 I might not be looking at
>FF!
>
>Thanks in advance.

Uh-oh! A variety of Murphy's Law just set in... you can call off the
hounds.

I've found the culprit: never realised there are TWO places to set
quality in Flash, one by right-clicking in the video, the other the
word "quality" at the bottom right of the Flash screen.

For some reason, FF was picking up a conflicted "poor" in one --
"high" in the other -- though SM was showing both as "high".

Go figure.
From: Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo on
Nobody wrote:
>> Peter P. may have an answer or suggestion about this: I've spent a few
>> hours testing Firefox 3.5.5 against SeaMonkey 2.0 and I'm puzzled
>> about embedded video playback quality loss.
>>
>> http://www.3news.co.nz/Video/Nightline/tabid/368/articleID/131517/cat/64/Default.aspx#video
>>
>> The above is one of many clips I've tried that obviously have much
>> poorer quality playback using FF, even though I can see that my
>> setting in Adobe Flasplayer 10 is set at "high".
>>
>> I'm running Win XP Home SP3 for information's sake.
>>
>> When I go and look at cache in SM 2.0 after viewing the newsclip in
>> better quality, I see the file size is ~4500kb.
>>
>> In FF, it's only ~1800kb.
>>
>> Is there something I've not got set correctly in FF?
>>
>> Disabling/enabling AdBlock doesn't make any difference.
>>
>> Now if AdBlock Plus 1.1.1 worked with SM 2.0 I might not be looking at
>> FF!
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>

> Uh-oh! A variety of Murphy's Law just set in... you can call off the
> hounds.
>
> I've found the culprit: never realised there are TWO places to set
> quality in Flash, one by right-clicking in the video, the other the
> word "quality" at the bottom right of the Flash screen.
>
> For some reason, FF was picking up a conflicted "poor" in one --
> "high" in the other -- though SM was showing both as "high".
>
> Go figure.

you can also get more display info from here:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/help01.html
and there is also a global setting manager that will
give you access to more [hidden] settings.

help!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
From: Nobody on
>Nobody wrote:
>>> Peter P. may have an answer or suggestion about this: I've spent a few
>>> hours testing Firefox 3.5.5 against SeaMonkey 2.0 and I'm puzzled
>>> about embedded video playback quality loss.
>>>
>>> http://www.3news.co.nz/Video/Nightline/tabid/368/articleID/131517/cat/64/Default.aspx#video
>>>
>>> The above is one of many clips I've tried that obviously have much
>>> poorer quality playback using FF, even though I can see that my
>>> setting in Adobe Flasplayer 10 is set at "high".
>>>
>>> I'm running Win XP Home SP3 for information's sake.
>>>
>>> When I go and look at cache in SM 2.0 after viewing the newsclip in
>>> better quality, I see the file size is ~4500kb.
>>>
>>> In FF, it's only ~1800kb.
>>>
>>> Is there something I've not got set correctly in FF?
>>>
>>> Disabling/enabling AdBlock doesn't make any difference.
>>>
>>> Now if AdBlock Plus 1.1.1 worked with SM 2.0 I might not be looking at
>>> FF!
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>

>> Uh-oh! A variety of Murphy's Law just set in... you can call off the
>> hounds.
>>
>> I've found the culprit: never realised there are TWO places to set
>> quality in Flash, one by right-clicking in the video, the other the
>> word "quality" at the bottom right of the Flash screen.
>>
>> For some reason, FF was picking up a conflicted "poor" in one --
>> "high" in the other -- though SM was showing both as "high".
>>
>> Go figure.
>
>you can also get more display info from here:
>http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/help01.html
>and there is also a global setting manager that will
>give you access to more [hidden] setting

Thanks, Peter.

I thought I had it figured out, but AdBlock Plus 1.1.1 somehow
overrides FlashPlayer's settings. It (AdBlock) doesn't allow the
"quality" setting to appear to the bottom right of the video, and
defaults the playback to "medium".

Most strange. I guess I'll have to disable ABP whenever visiting that
site with FF for video, and also have to put up with the pre-clip paid
advertising.
From: Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo on
Nobody wrote:

>>> Uh-oh! A variety of Murphy's Law just set in... you can call off the
>>> hounds.
>>>
>>> I've found the culprit: never realised there are TWO places to set
>>> quality in Flash, one by right-clicking in the video, the other the
>>> word "quality" at the bottom right of the Flash screen.
>>>
>>> For some reason, FF was picking up a conflicted "poor" in one --
>>> "high" in the other -- though SM was showing both as "high".
>>>
>>> Go figure.
>> you can also get more display info from here:
>> http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/help01.html
>> and there is also a global setting manager that will
>> give you access to more [hidden] setting
>
> Thanks, Peter.
>
> I thought I had it figured out, but AdBlock Plus 1.1.1 somehow
> overrides FlashPlayer's settings. It (AdBlock) doesn't allow the
> "quality" setting to appear to the bottom right of the video, and
> defaults the playback to "medium".
>
> Most strange. I guess I'll have to disable ABP whenever visiting that
> site with FF for video, and also have to put up with the pre-clip paid
> advertising.

well, you have two choices:

either seek advice from the adblock people:
https://adblockplus.org/forum/

or invest in a good hosts file:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm or
http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/

my money is on the hosts file. I've never had a
problem with it.