From: Bilge on
Paul Stowe:
>On 28 Feb 2005 12:00:16 -0800, "TC" <tclarke(a)ist.ucf.edu> wrote:

[...]
>> It seems to me that this phenonmena would have been noted
>> in laboratory cryogenic experiments as it would presented an
>> additional difficulty in cooling to temperatures near 0K.
>
> Have they ever achieved absolute zero?

The last low temperature record I saw was 100 pK. That's
100 x 10^-12 K.

From: TC on
Paul Stowe wrote:
> On 28 Feb 2005 19:07:59 -0800, "TC" <tclarke(a)ist.ucf.edu> wrote:

> >> Have they ever achieved absolute zero?

Bilgr says:
The last low temperature record I saw was 100 pK. That's
100 x 10^-12 K.

> > It's impossible to achieve. It can only be approached
asymptotically.

> Not if there is no energy input into the region.

Perhaps I should say the elminiation of energy input is impossible
since there are no zero temperature laboratories and no perfect
insulators.

Tom

From: TC on
Bilge wrote:
> TC:
> >I was looking at Paul Stowe's
> >"An Overview of the Concept of Attenuation [Pushing] Gravity"
> >http://www.mountainman.com.au/index_ps.htm

> >He derives from the LeSage theory that the heat output
> >of a body resulting from gravity should be
> >q = kM/R where k is a constant, M the mass and R the radius
> >of the body.

Stowe has clarified that q is heat flux/unit area, not total
heat flux as I had misread.

> >It occured to me to ask what the temperature of a laboratory
> >scale body would be from this mechanism

It seems that there will be a small effect using Stowe's formulas.
A 1 meter radius sphere of iron would have a minimum temperature
of 0.19K absent other heating or cooling.

But I remain troubled. Stowe's formulas just do not ring true
for me. The energy flux/area is proportional to M/r which in
gravitational context is escape velocity/potential when multiplied
by proper constant, a property of the whole body, not of a
differential area of the body.

I also wonder where the original data for table in
http://www.mountainman.com.au/news99_b.htm
comes from.

Also in http://www.mountainman.com.au/le_sage.htm
"Derivation of Newtonian Gravitation from LeSage's Attenuation Concept"
The derivation of the the expression for energy input is not given
"Big step here derivation not shown!"
Is the derivation available anywhere?
In the book "Pushing Gravity"?

Also Bilge supplies:

> http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath131/kmath131.htm

Which derives very different conclusions from the LeSage model at
great odds with Stowe's results.

Has Stowe ever refuted these arguments?

Tom

From: Paul Stowe on
On 1 Mar 2005 06:11:20 -0800, "TC" <tclarke(a)ist.ucf.edu> wrote:

>Bilge wrote:
>> TC:
>>> I was looking at Paul Stowe's
>>> "An Overview of the Concept of Attenuation [Pushing] Gravity"
>>> http://www.mountainman.com.au/index_ps.htm
>
>>> He derives from the LeSage theory that the heat output
>>> of a body resulting from gravity should be
>>> q = kM/R where k is a constant, M the mass and R the radius
>>> of the body.
>
> Stowe has clarified that q is heat flux/unit area, not total
> heat flux as I had misread.
>
>>> It occured to me to ask what the temperature of a laboratory
>>> scale body would be from this mechanism
>
> It seems that there will be a small effect using Stowe's formulas.
> A 1 meter radius sphere of iron would have a minimum temperature
> of 0.19K absent other heating or cooling.

Ummm, 0.019 ýK but, OK...

> But I remain troubled. Stowe's formulas just do not ring true
> for me. The energy flux/area is proportional to M/r which in
> gravitational context is escape velocity/potential when multiplied
> by proper constant, a property of the whole body, not of a
> differential area of the body.

Indeed. An analogous example, you have a distributed radioactive
gas such that there existing in space a gamma flux of q'/z (where
q' is the source term in energy per unit volume & z the linear
attenuation coefficient in inverse meters) and an embedded piece
of spherical matter (a gamma ray attenuator) such that its radius
[r] yields a a total mean free path of 2zr of 0.0001. Thus,
the attenuating of gammas passing thru the sphere deposits energy
into the sphere. This is, for a 2zr of 0.0001, a uniform process
affecting every volume element equally. This is called (and known
in the trade) as the weak solution. Mathematically the weak
solution is when the condition,

e^-zt = 1 - zt

For a situation where the above condition is not met, the energy is
dopsited in an exponential manner with the most in the first mean
free path. In the case of LeSagian gravity, as have been formally
proven, Newton's equation IS the weak solution to this problem.

> I also wonder where the original data for table in
> http://www.mountainman.com.au/news99_b.htm comes from.

That data is readily available.

> Also in http://www.mountainman.com.au/le_sage.htm
> "Derivation of Newtonian Gravitation from LeSage's Attenuation Concept"
> The derivation of the the expression for energy input is not given
> "Big step here derivation not shown!" Is the derivation available
> anywhere?
> In the book "Pushing Gravity"?

Look just above that section. You'll find,

f_d = f_in[2GM/c^2r_o]

Where f is power flux (watts/m^2) and the other terms are as
expected. Then f_d is the corresponding observed power emission
and f_in the LeSagian full field input value. You don't have
either of these thus you say, IF the equation is true and we have
a good measured value for f_d we can solve for f_in. I originally
used the Earth's value since it is very well known. I dicovered
however that a body as big, and as poor a thermal conductor as the
Earth requires ~25 Billon years to reach a thermal equilibrium
state. Thus, I then used data from the Moon (taken in the Apollo
heat flow experiments) ~0.01. This gives a f_in of ~1.6E+08. Then
k is,

k = (2G/c^2)f_in

Now, you can instead use Jupiter and get the same basic value.
We switched to Jupiter for the normalizer in our piublished paper
since its values is better sustantiated that just two measurements
from Moon.

Now, once you have this, you ask the next question, does it match
others. Thus the table. Now to your specific question, the answer
is no, I abandoned this soon after I posted that piece. Dimensionally
it is correct (assuming q has dimensions of kg/sec) and numerically
it matches. But, I never was able to fully derive it since a piece
of the puzzle is still missing. I thought it 'cool' enough to
mention, in hopes that someone else might get it.

> Also Bilge supplies:
>
>> http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath131/kmath131.htm
>
> Which derives very different conclusions from the LeSage model at
> great odds with Stowe's results.
>
> Has Stowe ever refuted these arguments?

See "Pushing Gravity". It DOES address several of these issues (and
not just our papers). Also Barry went to a significant effort to
address the in the following series.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/sci.physics.relativity/browse_frm/thread/1afcda5a7882c43/b437f7783528c72f?q=%22LeSage+Shadows%22&_done=%2Fgroups%3Fas_q%3D%26num%3D100%26scoring%3Dd%26hl%3Den%26ie%3DUTF-8%26as_epq%3DLeSage+Shadows%26as_oq%3D%26as_eq%3D%26as_ugroup%3D%26as_usubject%3D%26as_uauthors%3D%26lr%3D%26as_drrb%3Dq%26as_qdr%3D%26as_mind%3D1%26as_minm%3D1%26as_miny%3D1981%26as_maxd%3D1%26as_maxm%3D3%26as_maxy%3D2005%26safe%3Doff%26&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#b437f7783528c72f

Shadow, a.k.a. Bilge just blew smoke in response...

Paul Stowe
From: Paul Stowe on
On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 17:26:58 GMT, Paul Stowe <ps(a)acompletelyjunkaddress.net>
wrote:

[Snip...]

See "Pushing Gravity"

>> It doesn't address the core issues of the enormous ultramundane
>> velocities required to avoid tangential acceleration

One way for this is TVF's "Gravity" pages 93-122 of above,

>> and the enormous energy depostion - heating rates - that that
>> would require.

Another is Slablinski's "Force, Heat and Drag in a Graviton Model"
pages 123-128 in same...

> It is addressed, see references given...

As I said...