From: MikeG0930 on
Can Microsoft Flexgrid ActiveX Control be used in an Access 2002 form?

From: Albert D.Kallal on
I don't see why not. You will have to resort to writing a lot more code to
"setup" and fill the grid (like you have to in VB).

However, before you go to all that trouble (and, have to write lots and lots
of code to make that grid work), take a look at the following screen shots
of "grids" in the native access:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/Articles/Grid.htm

If you do start using a activeX control, you want to ensure you got a
developers edition, since if you got a "user" edition, then the built in
licensing will often not let you copy and install it on another pc (as a
rule, you can't take all the activeX controls from a application you just
installed, and use it on another pc). Further, you will now have to adopt
some type installer, and a system to "register" that activeX control.

--
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

From: MikeG0930 on
Thanks Albert for your reply. Let me give you an idea of what I'm
trying to accomplish. I work for a vocational rehab program for the
disabled. Once a month, I have to fill out a form for the state funders
showing the days that each participant is present, absent, or on
vacation. The form has a grid on it with column headings for Name and
numbered 1 to 31 for days of the month. In each column I enter a "X"
for present, a "U" for absent, an "H" for holiday or "V" for vacation.
There are 25 rows for 25 names. I have a table that keeps track of
attendance which I thought I could use as the source for the data to
fill a flexgrid.

I do understand that it will take a lot of code writing to "maybe" get
it to work. My goal is to enter a date range on a form that will run a
query to get the Attendance data that will fill the flexgrid, thus
saving me a lot of time each month.

Any suggestions??

From: Albert D.Kallal on
Assuming your data is normalized, and you don't have some silly setup with
31 fields in a table, then I would suggest you do the following:

Prompt user for month/year to edit.

Execute code to de-normalize the data into a temp table with "name" field,
and 31 fields. You then of course bind the form to this temp table.

This would allow you to scroll, and have 5, or 500 names for one month.

You could also add some arrow key code to the continuous form so the up/down
arrow keys work (just like they do in a datasheet).

when the user is done, you re-normalize the data, and write it back to the
data table. (this likely means that right before you write back the data,
you DELETE the existing data, as makes coordination of what was changed very
easy.

Using the above approach, not a lot code need be written at all, and you
could thus use a standard continuous form....

The only serious issue with the above is the use of temp tables, and issues
of bloat. However, these issues should be able to be dealt with, and this
type of design compromise seems reasonable.

And, if you did use a FlexGrid, you would have to do the above anyway, since
with a FlexGrid, you would have to write the code to fill the grid, and
write it back after anyway....

The above idea of using a continues form is going to be WAY WAY less work,
and likely work better anyway...