From: W. James on
joswig(a)corporate-world.lisp.de wrote:

> Common Lisp is 'Common Lisp' or shorter 'CL'.

A.k.a. "COBOL-LISP", "Commune Lisp", "Commode Lisp", etc.

From: W. James on
Cecil Westerhof wrote:

> I have made a first setup to write interactive scripts with Common
> Lisp. In it I use the following code:
> (setq outputfile (open *outputfile-name*
> :direction :output
> :if-exists :supersede))
> (if (null outputfile)
> (format t "Could not open outputfile (~a)~%"
> *outputfile-name*) (bye))
>
> But the warning is not displayed. I think because the output is not
> flushed before the '(bye)'. How can flush the output so the error is
> shown?

In the example below, the file is automatically closed at the end
of the block.

File.open( out_file, "w" ){|stream|
... <your code here> ... }

From: Cecil Westerhof on
"joswig(a)corporate-world.lisp.de" <joswig(a)lisp.de> writes:

>> I was thinking to switch to sbcl in the near future. Is clisp better as
>> sbcl for scripting, or is there not a big difference?
>
> Depends on what 'scripting' is. You might want to scan the manuals
> of CLISP and SBCL for built-in capabilities that are useful for you.

At this moment I want to use CL instead of shell-scripting. So instead
of writing scripts in bash I want to start writing them in CL. But I
would not be surprised if I will use CL also for 'real' programs. Maybe
those two activities ask for a different implementation. But maybe it is
better to first learn the language and later on decide which
implementation(s) to use.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer
From: joswig on
On 19 Dez., 23:18, "W. James" <w_a_x_...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> > I have made a first setup to write interactive scripts with Common
> > Lisp. In it I use the following code:
> >     (setq outputfile (open *outputfile-name*
> >                              :direction :output
> >                              :if-exists :supersede))
> >     (if (null outputfile)
> >         (format t "Could not open outputfile (~a)~%"
> > *outputfile-name*)         (bye))
>
> > But the warning is not displayed. I think because the output is not
> > flushed before the '(bye)'. How can flush the output so the error is
> > shown?
>
> In the example below, the file is automatically closed at the end
> of the block.
>
> File.open( out_file, "w" ){|stream|
>   ... <your code here> ...  }
>
> --

(with-open-file (stream file ...)
...)
From: joswig on
On 19 Dez., 23:10, "W. James" <w_a_x_...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> jos...(a)corporate-world.lisp.de wrote:
> > Common Lisp is 'Common Lisp' or shorter 'CL'.

[the usual bullshit deleted]

> --

But it can compute

(expt -27 (/ 1 3.0))