From: Cecil Westerhof on
I have started with using Lisp. First I worked with Emacs, but for
interactive scripts I was told to use Common Lisp. I was thinking about
using ncurses for the interface to the user. I found:
http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-ncurses/

Has anyone experience with this?
When looking at the page it will not work with clisp, but with sbcl. Is
this correct?
Not that it is a big problem. I understood that sbcl is better, so I
will install it anyway.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer
From: Tamas K Papp on
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 13:08:36 +0100, Cecil Westerhof wrote:

> I have started with using Lisp. First I worked with Emacs, but for
> interactive scripts I was told to use Common Lisp. I was thinking about
> using ncurses for the interface to the user. I found:
> http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-ncurses/
>
> Has anyone experience with this?

I haven't used CL with ncurses. But if you just need some GUI and you
have an X-Window system, you could consider eg ltk, which many people
find useful. It has its own mailing list, and you can also search the
c.l.l archives for discussions.

> Not that it is a big problem. I understood that sbcl is better, so I
> will install it anyway.

I would qualify that: SBCL is better _for certain purposes_. But CLISP
is quite nice too.

Tamas
From: parisnight on
On Dec 18, 7:08 am, Cecil Westerhof <Ce...(a)decebal.nl> wrote:
> I have started with using Lisp. First I worked with Emacs, but for
> interactive scripts I was told to use Common Lisp. I was thinking about
> using ncurses for the interface to the user. I found:
>    http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-ncurses/
>
> Has anyone experience with this?
> When looking at the page it will not work with clisp, but with sbcl. Is
> this correct?
> Not that it is a big problem. I understood that sbcl is better, so I
> will install it anyway.
>
> --
> Cecil Westerhof
> Senior Software Engineer
> LinkedIn:http://www.linkedin.com/in/cecilwesterhof

Timofei Shatrov has a curses interface in his roguelike games for
CLISP. The file curses.lisp is included in the source code here:

http://common-lisp.net/project/lifp/uwar.htm

SDL is also a good way to plot text and graphics on the screen with a
simple interface.

Both SBCL and CLISP are good programs in their own ways.

Bob
From: camiloolarte on

> http://common-lisp.net/project/lifp/uwar.htm

You might also want to check this project:

http://common-lisp.net/project/vial/

you can see how to build ffi interfaces with swig and it can address
clisp cffi !

Camilo
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon on
Cecil Westerhof <Cecil(a)decebal.nl> writes:

> I have started with using Lisp. First I worked with Emacs, but for
> interactive scripts I was told to use Common Lisp. I was thinking about
> using ncurses for the interface to the user. I found:
> http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-ncurses/
>
> Has anyone experience with this?
> When looking at the page it will not work with clisp, but with sbcl. Is
> this correct?
> Not that it is a big problem. I understood that sbcl is better, so I
> will install it anyway.

Clisp has a simplier screen interface than ncurses. If you don't need
the complexitities of ncurses, you may be happy enough with it.

http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/screen.html