From: avi on
Hello Lispers,

Many of you will have noticed the call for funding Rich Hickey made
over at the Clojure group a few days ago.

http://clojure.org/funding

In barely two days more than a hundred of Clojure users and half of
dozen companies together donated more than half of what Rich proposed
to make his dedicated work focused and sustainable in 2010.

http://clojure.org/funders

In a similar way a few years ago Bram Moolenar made possible for
people to support Vim development by donating and voting for features.

http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php
http://www.vim.org/sponsor/hall_of_honour.php

Surely other examples will exist of such free software bounty systems
set up in order to support dedicated developers.

As a Lisp newbie, I would like such central incentive infrastructure
also to exist for the free software community of Common Lisp. Such a
system would both be a nice way to recompense the developers for their
work on free Lisp software and to find out what features users deem
necessary and would like to see worked on.

What do you think whether such a bounty infrastructure would work for
the Common Lisp community? Also, does somebody have the experience to
set this up (since I certainly don't)?
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon on
avi <antvid(a)googlemail.com> writes:
> What do you think whether such a bounty infrastructure would work for
> the Common Lisp community? Also, does somebody have the experience to
> set this up (since I certainly don't)?

http://sourceforge.net/donate/?group_id=1355
and so on for the other CL projects hosted on sourceforge...

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
From: Elena on
On 17 Dic, 17:32, avi <ant...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> What do you think whether such a bounty infrastructure would work for
> the Common Lisp community?

No, it wouldn't work. Rich Hickey has built a community around
Clojure. No such community exists around any CL implementation.
From: Rainer Joswig on
In article
<03571880-502b-479c-a118-86f632554f6d(a)e27g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
Elena <egarrulo(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17 Dic, 17:32, avi <ant...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> > What do you think whether such a bounty infrastructure would work for
> > the Common Lisp community?
>
> No, it wouldn't work. Rich Hickey has built a community around
> Clojure. No such community exists around any CL implementation.

Communities in the CL world exist and work.

SBCL for example has not one main implementor.
Still it has a community.

Just Monday and Tuesday was the SBCL10 workshop in London:
http://sbcl10.sbcl.org/
SBCL has a very active community of users.

Clozure CL has an active community and Clozure (the company)
has been paid for work on Clozure CL by users.
There was a call for example to support work on the
GUI. Dan Weinreb has presented a long list of
improvements to Clozure CL at the last
European Common Lisp meeting that have been paid
for by ITA Software.

LispWorks, a commercial implementation of Common Lisp
has an active community of users. I get a constant
stream of mails from their user mailing list.
Work on LispWorks is paid by users buying licenses,
updates, service contracts, etcs. A new version
of LispWorks is in beta.

Any work on one of the commercial implementations is funded
by the users. If these users are a community is a question,
nearest comes LispWorks and their users.

The free/open source implementations have communities.
The largest is probably SBCL, which is very much
community driven. Clozure CL has the difference that
the implementation is open source, yet supported
and driven by a company. Other communities may be
smaller. ECL for example has some users and a lead
developer. Funding him would directly benefit ECL
and the applications that use it (Maxima and others).

Also, there are lots of people who work on libraries
and tools, now. There is less need to fund just one guy,
but to keep multiple projects going - usually
done by more than one guy.

The open source world of CL has a lot of tools:

* Common Lisp directory
* paste.lisp.org
* common-lisp.net
* cliki.net

and so on. This open source community is also funded
by its users. If you want to help the projects,
fund the maintainers or provide other help (like
code, documentation, bug reports, ...).

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org/
From: dan on
Rainer Joswig <joswig(a)lisp.de> writes:

> In article
> <03571880-502b-479c-a118-86f632554f6d(a)e27g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
> Elena <egarrulo(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> No, it wouldn't work. Rich Hickey has built a community around
>> Clojure. No such community exists around any CL implementation.
>
> Communities in the CL world exist and work.
>
> SBCL for example has not one main implementor.
> Still it has a community.
>
> Just Monday and Tuesday was the SBCL10 workshop in London:
> http://sbcl10.sbcl.org/

Yes, I was there. Elena's assertion seems quite bizarre to me

[ snip other stuff I agree with ]

-dan
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4