From: Cecil Westerhof on
Tamas K Papp <tkpapp(a)gmail.com> writes:

>> I find it more important that it works in a text based environment
>> (working with ssh), so ncurses has priority. But I will look into ltk
>> also.
>
> I can understand that. After you experiment with a few different
> ncurses-based frameworks, please consider summarizing your findings
> here or in a blog post.

I'll do that. I'll think I will do it in a blog then. Easier to keep it
up to date when I learn something new and more accessibly.

>>> I would qualify that: SBCL is better _for certain purposes_. But CLISP
>>> is quite nice too.
>>
>> Is there anywhere a comparison about the different versions?
>
> Google is your friend. c.l.l had a couple of threads on this topic,
> and there are some surveys/blog posts on the net, but be advised that
> most Lisp implementations move quite fast, and some information may be
> outdated. It is best to keep most of your code free from implementation-
> dependent trick (quite easy to do in CL), so you can adapt it later.

I think I will default switch to SBCL (after installing), but test my
code in different version. In this way I can switch easier and be sure
my code can be used by as many people as possible.
What are the most used versions? Then I can download and install them.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer
From: Tamas K Papp on
On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 15:31:29 +0100, Cecil Westerhof wrote:

> Tamas K Papp <tkpapp(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> I find it more important that it works in a text based environment
>>> (working with ssh), so ncurses has priority. But I will look into ltk
>>> also.
>>
>> I can understand that. After you experiment with a few different
>> ncurses-based frameworks, please consider summarizing your findings
>> here or in a blog post.
>
> I'll do that. I'll think I will do it in a blog then. Easier to keep it
> up to date when I learn something new and more accessibly.

>>> Is there anywhere a comparison about the different versions?
>>
>> Google is your friend. c.l.l had a couple of threads on this topic,
>> and there are some surveys/blog posts on the net, but be advised that
>> most Lisp implementations move quite fast, and some information may be
>> outdated. It is best to keep most of your code free from
>> implementation- dependent trick (quite easy to do in CL), so you can
>> adapt it later.
>
> I think I will default switch to SBCL (after installing), but test my
> code in different version. In this way I can switch easier and be sure
> my code can be used by as many people as possible. What are the most
> used versions? Then I can download and install them.

I think by versions, you mean implementations, don't you?

It depends entirely on the context. SBCL is popular on Linux and among
number-crunchers. CLISP is used a lot on Windows, AFAIK, but also on
Linux. ECL is a nice implementation that allows you to produce small &
fast executables for easy deployment. The list could go on, all
implementations have a user base, so they are useful for some things.
And of course there are non-free implementations, but I am not the best
person to talk about those as I have never used any of them (but maybe I
will, in the future).

Cheers,

Tamas
From: Cecil Westerhof on
Tamas K Papp <tkpapp(a)gmail.com> writes:

>> I think I will default switch to SBCL (after installing), but test my
>> code in different version. In this way I can switch easier and be sure
>> my code can be used by as many people as possible. What are the most
>> used versions? Then I can download and install them.
>
> I think by versions, you mean implementations, don't you?

Yes, I do.

> It depends entirely on the context. SBCL is popular on Linux and among
> number-crunchers. CLISP is used a lot on Windows, AFAIK, but also on
> Linux. ECL is a nice implementation that allows you to produce small &
> fast executables for easy deployment. The list could go on, all
> implementations have a user base, so they are useful for some things.
> And of course there are non-free implementations, but I am not the best
> person to talk about those as I have never used any of them (but maybe I
> will, in the future).

I work with Linux, on this clisp is default installed and is what I am
using now.
I was already thinking about switching to SBCL.
I will also look into ECL.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon on
Cecil Westerhof <Cecil(a)decebal.nl> writes:

> pjb(a)informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:
>
>> Clisp has a simplier screen interface than ncurses. If you don't need
>> the complexitities of ncurses, you may be happy enough with it.
>>
>> http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/screen.html
>
> For the time being this is enough for what I want. This works for all
> Common Lisp variants, or only for clisp?

http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/screen.html
^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^

I would say only for clisp, and moreover:

Platform Dependent: UNIX, Win32 platforms only.

WARNING: This product warps space and time in its vicinity.
From: Cecil Westerhof on
pjb(a)informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

>> pjb(a)informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:
>>
>>> Clisp has a simplier screen interface than ncurses. If you don't need
>>> the complexitities of ncurses, you may be happy enough with it.
>>>
>>> http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/screen.html
>>
>> For the time being this is enough for what I want. This works for all
>> Common Lisp variants, or only for clisp?
>
> http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/screen.html
> ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^
>
> I would say only for clisp, and moreover:

I now understand the difference between clisp and CL. ;-]

> Platform Dependent: UNIX, Win32 platforms only.

For me that is -at the moment- enough.

But that properly means that when I want to write scripts that interact
it will not be implementation independent.
Well I then just have to but the screen code in a different file.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer