From: Cecil Westerhof on
Tamas K Papp <tkpapp(a)gmail.com> writes:

>> I have started with using Lisp. First I worked with Emacs, but for
>> interactive scripts I was told to use Common Lisp. I was thinking about
>> using ncurses for the interface to the user. I found:
>> http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-ncurses/
>>
>> Has anyone experience with this?
>
> I haven't used CL with ncurses. But if you just need some GUI and you
> have an X-Window system, you could consider eg ltk, which many people
> find useful. It has its own mailing list, and you can also search the
> c.l.l archives for discussions.

I find it more important that it works in a text based environment
(working with ssh), so ncurses has priority. But I will look into ltk
also.

>> Not that it is a big problem. I understood that sbcl is better, so I
>> will install it anyway.
>
> I would qualify that: SBCL is better _for certain purposes_. But CLISP
> is quite nice too.

Is there anywhere a comparison about the different versions?

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer
From: Cecil Westerhof on
parisnight <parisnight(a)gmail.com> writes:

> Timofei Shatrov has a curses interface in his roguelike games for
> CLISP. The file curses.lisp is included in the source code here:
>
> http://common-lisp.net/project/lifp/uwar.htm

I downloaded it and will look at it.

> SDL is also a good way to plot text and graphics on the screen with a
> simple interface.

I look at http://cl-sdl.sourceforge.net/screenshots/index.html. That
looks quit interesting. I am 'afraid' that I will be busy.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer
From: Cecil Westerhof on
camiloolarte <juan.c.olarte(a)gmail.com> writes:

>> http://common-lisp.net/project/lifp/uwar.htm
>>

> You might also want to check this project:
>
> http://common-lisp.net/project/vial/

I'll do that to.

> You can see how to build ffi interfaces with swig and it can address
> clisp cffi !

I have a lot to learn.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer
From: Tamas K Papp on
On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 14:46:16 +0100, Cecil Westerhof wrote:

> Tamas K Papp <tkpapp(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> I have started with using Lisp. First I worked with Emacs, but for
>>> interactive scripts I was told to use Common Lisp. I was thinking
>>> about using ncurses for the interface to the user. I found:
>>> http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-ncurses/
>>>
>>> Has anyone experience with this?
>>
>> I haven't used CL with ncurses. But if you just need some GUI and you
>> have an X-Window system, you could consider eg ltk, which many people
>> find useful. It has its own mailing list, and you can also search the
>> c.l.l archives for discussions.
>
> I find it more important that it works in a text based environment
> (working with ssh), so ncurses has priority. But I will look into ltk
> also.

I can understand that. After you experiment with a few different
ncurses-based frameworks, please consider summarizing your findings
here or in a blog post.

>>> Not that it is a big problem. I understood that sbcl is better, so I
>>> will install it anyway.
>>
>> I would qualify that: SBCL is better _for certain purposes_. But CLISP
>> is quite nice too.
>
> Is there anywhere a comparison about the different versions?

Google is your friend. c.l.l had a couple of threads on this topic,
and there are some surveys/blog posts on the net, but be advised that
most Lisp implementations move quite fast, and some information may be
outdated. It is best to keep most of your code free from implementation-
dependent trick (quite easy to do in CL), so you can adapt it later.

Tamas
From: Cecil Westerhof on
pjb(a)informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

> Clisp has a simplier screen interface than ncurses. If you don't need
> the complexitities of ncurses, you may be happy enough with it.
>
> http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/screen.html

For the time being this is enough for what I want. This works for all
Common Lisp variants, or only for clisp?

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer