From: Liju on
I have a windows 2003 server R2, I had a shared folder "Database" and under
which lot of *.dbf files. All of a sudden the folder & files have one missing.

I have checked the Recylce Bin it is not there...

I have checked with softwares like Get Data Back, Active Undelete, Recuva,
NTFS Undelete all these files have failed to even acknowledge the presence of
such a folder.

I am begining to doubt if the server had such a folder.

Please help...
Liju
From: John John - MVP on
Liju wrote:
> I have a windows 2003 server R2, I had a shared folder "Database" and under
> which lot of *.dbf files. All of a sudden the folder & files have one missing.
>
> I have checked the Recylce Bin it is not there...
>
> I have checked with softwares like Get Data Back, Active Undelete, Recuva,
> NTFS Undelete all these files have failed to even acknowledge the presence of
> such a folder.
>
> I am begining to doubt if the server had such a folder.
>
> Please help...

There isn't much that we can do. Others may suggest different recovery
utilities but if file recovery utilities cannot find the files then you
might have to resort to the services of a data recovery company. Of
course, the easiest way to fix this would have been to restore the files
from your backup...

John
From: Grant Taylor on
Liju wrote:
> I have a windows 2003 server R2, I had a shared folder "Database" and
> under which lot of *.dbf files. All of a sudden the folder & files
> have one missing.

What is missing? The entire folder, or one (or more) file(s) there in?

> I have checked the Recylce Bin it is not there...

If the files are accessed across the network, and they were deleted,
they wouldn't show up in the recycle bin.

> I have checked with softwares like Get Data Back, Active Undelete,
> Recuva, NTFS Undelete all these files have failed to even acknowledge
> the presence of such a folder.

I have had tremendous success with Active UNDELETE. And I'll attest to
the fact that it has saved clients back sides on more than one occasion.
(Usually after they did something to their backups with out telling me.)

The only way that I'm aware that such could disappear like that after
deletion is if somehow NTFS (it is NTFS isn't it) over wrote the sectors
containing the what was deleted. Even then I would expect there to be
some sine of what was deleted.

> I am begining to doubt if the server had such a folder.

I'm beginning to wonder if someone accidentally moved / renamed the
item(s) in question such that the couldn't be found where expected.

> Please help...

I'd try a simple "dir /s /b *part_of_file_name*" on the root of the
drive / share in question to see if things got moved.

Then I'd look in the folder to see if it got renamed, followed by the
folders around it.

In my experience things don't just disappear like that. Something
happens to them. - The closest disappearing act that things do is with
NTFS corruption and even that is quite often more than onesie / twosies
and is usually clustered together. (Think how a FS index would get
corrupted with missing records.)

Just my $0.02 worth.

Grant. . . .