From: Wizbard on
I'm back... embarrassed to admit that I got my Committees module working for
about a day and then accidentally deleted my subform and haven't been able to
recreate it properly again. See my earlier post.

JWV, I took your advice and went with 3 tables: Households, Committees and
CommMembers. I joined them through linking the ID fields of Households and
Committees into Households_ID and Committees_ID number fields that I set up
in the CommMember table.

I created the main form, frm-Committees, using the ID, Committee, Action
Items and Objectives fields from the Committees table.

I created the subform, subfrm-Committees, using the Role field from
CommMembers and the ID, Household Head, Phone (and other) fields from the
Households table.

Here's where I get lost: I want to use a combo box in place of the
Households Head field in the subform to select from a dropdown list of
Household Heads, which, when a name is selected, pulls the rest of the
contact info from Households table (which has already been populated) into
the subform record and eventually adds the Role, Objectives and Action Items
data to their respective tables.

Currently, when I select a name from the Households list, it creates a new
record in Households and populates the Household Head field in the new record
with the Household Head ID number, rather than the name. I don't want to be
changing Households at all, just get the name from that table.

I suspect my problem is in which fields I am joining and, perhaps the types
of joins between the tables, but I've gone round and round without getting
it right for two or three days. I'm just using wizards because I don't yet
grasp the code itself.

Can you help by suggesting which field from the main form I should be
joining to which field on the subform and what types of joins they should be?

Many thanks for your patience on what should be obvious to me.

-wiz

--
Green and Growing
From: Wizbard on
Gee, was it something I said? I feel ignored.
--
Green and Growing

From: Larry Linson on
More probably, it was what you didn't do... post a continuation to the
are talking about without doing extensive research, which few who post here
have time and energy to do... we like to be helpful, but you need to help us
to help you.

--
Larry Linson, Microsoft Office Access MVP
Co-author: "Microsoft Access Small Business Solutions", published by Wiley

Pages: 1
Prev: Output field as a text
Next: Pasting chart on word