From: Kurt Ullman on
I tried this one,
You need to enter terminal and create a new admin account:

1. Reboot
2. Hold apple key + s key down after you hear the chime. (command + s on
newer Macs)
3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a
brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now

4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you
login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and your good
to go again!
---
When I do this, I have the new account set-up, but this one doesn't
have any of the things I wanted to migrate. Did I miss a step?

Now I have two accounts on that machine. Old (which I still
can't figure out the password for which I assume still has all the
things I need to migrate) and New which has nothing more than what came
with the machine.
When I saw that the new one had nothing in it, I was hesitant to
delete the old one until I checked in here.

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist
From: Bob Harris on
In article <kqqdnQVlZfage8DRnZ2dnUVZ_jCdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com>,
Kurt Ullman <kurtullman(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> I tried this one,
> You need to enter terminal and create a new admin account:
>
> 1. Reboot
> 2. Hold apple key + s key down after you hear the chime. (command + s on
> newer Macs)
> 3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a
> brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):
>
> mount -uw /

After doing the mount -uw /, why not just reset the password?
Seems like it would be a lot easier.

passwd username_to_reset_password_for
From: Wayne C. Morris on
In article <kqqdnQVlZfage8DRnZ2dnUVZ_jCdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com>,
Kurt Ullman <kurtullman(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

[snip]
> When I do this, I have the new account set-up, but this one doesn't
> have any of the things I wanted to migrate. Did I miss a step?
>
> Now I have two accounts on that machine. Old (which I still
> can't figure out the password for which I assume still has all the
> things I need to migrate) and New which has nothing more than what came
> with the machine.

All the files you want are in the first admin account's home folder, not in
public folders. You can make the first account's files accessible to the new
account, but it's easier to just change the old account's password.

Log in using the new account. Go to System Preferences - Accounts. If the lock
icon is locked, click it and enter the new account's password. Select the old
account, click on Password, Reset Password. Enter the new password in both
boxes.
From: Kurt Ullman on
In article
<wayne.morris-240CBA.10231808082010(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
"Wayne C. Morris" <wayne.morris(a)this.is.invalid> wrote:

> In article <kqqdnQVlZfage8DRnZ2dnUVZ_jCdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com>,
> Kurt Ullman <kurtullman(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > When I do this, I have the new account set-up, but this one doesn't
> > have any of the things I wanted to migrate. Did I miss a step?
> >
> > Now I have two accounts on that machine. Old (which I still
> > can't figure out the password for which I assume still has all the
> > things I need to migrate) and New which has nothing more than what came
> > with the machine.
>
> All the files you want are in the first admin account's home folder, not in
> public folders. You can make the first account's files accessible to the new
> account, but it's easier to just change the old account's password.
>
> Log in using the new account. Go to System Preferences - Accounts. If the
> lock
> icon is locked, click it and enter the new account's password. Select the
> old
> account, click on Password, Reset Password. Enter the new password in both
> boxes.

Thanks. I'll try that.
'K