From: Gerhard Torges on
Hello!

I once hat parental control enabled for one user on my 10.5.8 system.

I had nothing but problems with them:

- Blocked https: access, thus no login on ebay, Twitter or my
homebanking account.
- Vanished Dashboard widgets, being "forbidden" when I try to activaten
them again
- Same for applications

So I switched Parenal Controls OFF again, for all accounts.

But guess what?
It all goes on like this!
It's driving me crazy!

I learned that Parental controls work using a system called "Managed
Preferences", and tried the hint in
<http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1233289>, which reads

> managed prefs getting stuck
>
> There are two things to clear on the client in order to remove all
> cached managed preferences:
>
> 1. /Library/Managed Preferences - Delete the whole folder. This is where
> the mcx compositor sends all managed preferences first, regardless of
> the mcx_domain (forced, set-often, set-once). If managed preferences
> still apply, this folder will be recreated automatically.
>
> 2. The mcx_cache record in the Config record of the client's local
> directory - To easily clear this, use dscl:
>
> sudo dscl . -delete /Config/mcx_cache
>
> This command will also work in Tiger. It clears the local cache from the
> client's /Local/Default LDAP domain (Leopard) or /NetInfo/root (Tiger).

… but the 2nd part didn't work:

bash-3.2$ sudo dscl . -delete /Config/mcx_cache
Password:
delete: Invalid Path
<dscl_cmd> DS Error: -14009 (eDSUnknownNodeName)
bash-3.2$

Thus, despite Parental Controls are turned OFF in System Preferences, I
get blocked https traffic all over again. I have to permit every single
dashboard widget with admin credentials, thus then creating new entries
in "/Library/Managed Preferences".

Can someone help me please?

Regards,

Gerhard