From: kpg on
> And are you sure it uses SSL? Most don't, but gmail does.

Well, there you have it. I removed the SSL and it works!

Mayayana, thanks for your help, I hereby nominate you for the Nobel Peace
Prize, the Pulitzer, and the Congressional Medal of Honor.

I was having a forest for the trees moment with this bit. SSL, of course!.
Absolutely brilliant.

kpg
From: Mayayana on
|> And are you sure it uses SSL? Most don't, but gmail does.
|

| Well, there you have it. I removed the SSL and it works!

You can't assume any of those settings. Most
require a password for SMTP these days, but perhaps
not all. Most don't require SSL. (I'd guess that's
specifically for webmail. Since gmail is unique in
not really having real email in the first place, they may
be the exception.) The port can vary. Even the server
address varies. Some use something like
mail.somewhere.com rather than smtp.somewhere.com.

Unless you're going to let all of your customers go
through your Cox account then you really need to provide
some kind of input so that people can enter their settings
rather than have you guessing. Unfortunately, most people
don't know how to find their settings, so that's tricky.

I've noticed that newer versions of Thunderbird seem
to have the capacity to guess settings. I don't know
whether there's some kind of new protocol that allows
for polling the domain in order to return POP and SMTP
config. data, or whether mozilla.org just maintains a
database of ISPs.

From: kpg on
> You can't assume any of those settings.

Yes, I'm going to let users define them, similar to how outlook express is
setup. My test with coxmail (my ISP) was a proving ground for a
'difficult' scenario. I will no doubt be a work in progress as users come
up with other exotic requirements, but this gets me going with some
confidence.

In my app I plan on allowing the user to defer to their desktop based emial
client (the way my current mapi setup works)...some may prefer this, others
want to use a web based client like yahoo or gmail, or in this case cox, or
for those that have never setup an desktop based client.

Thanks to all the responded.

kpg
From: Nobody on
Followup on what? An older thread? Then why not reply to it?

From: kpg on
"Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote in news:O48FSq58KHA.3176
@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl:

> Followup on what? An older thread? Then why not reply to it?

um...I did. To my OP.