From: Paulo on
Hi, friends

I want to add barcode scanning capability to a next release of my
application. A barcode with the identification of the customer will be
printed in a form. After to fill in the form, customer sends back the report
to my client. The operator of my application should be able to read the
customer identification with a barcode scanner and, at this time, should be
automaticaly loaded a dialog in order the operator to update data.

Searching in the internet I found inWikipedia some useful code to draw the
barcode, but couldn't find any good tutorial:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=vb+vb6+barcode+scan+draw+tutorial+source+-net+-dot&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

I am completely new to this, and have some questions:

a) Is it possible to implement this?
b) Which type of barcode should be used in this type of application?
c) Which type of barcode scanner to buy for tests?
d) How to detect if a barcode scanner device is attached to the client
computer?
e) How to get a barcode value in a variable in my application?

Thanks for any advice,

Paulo
-----
_I want my Classic VB_

From: Saga on
Inline. Saga

"Paulo" <nospam.pmpcosta(a)netcabo.pt> wrote in message
> Hi, friends
>
> I want to add barcode scanning capability to a next release of my
> application. A barcode with the identification of the customer will be
> printed in a form.

Is your app printing the form?

After to fill in the form, customer sends back the report
> to my client. The operator of my application should be able to read the
> customer identification with a barcode scanner and, at this time, should
> be automaticaly loaded a dialog in order the operator to update data.

So does that mean that your app only needs to read the barcode?

> Searching in the internet I found inWikipedia some useful code to draw the
> barcode, but couldn't find any good tutorial:

So does that mean that you also need to generate the barcode? If so, go back
to Google and search for barcode fonts.This is the least painful way to draw
the barcode when printing the form.

> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=vb+vb6+barcode+scan+draw+tutorial+source+-net+-dot&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
>
> I am completely new to this, and have some questions:
>
> a) Is it possible to implement this?

I am not sure if you only want to read the barcode (BC) or also
generate it on the printed form. Either way, the answer is Yes,
it is possible.

> b) Which type of barcode should be used in this type of application?

Depends on the customer id. Is it just digits? Does it include letters?
Is it very long (8 chars or more)? Basically, the two types of barcodes
that are used are Code 3 of 9 or Code 128.

Go here to learn more about barcodes:
http://www.barcodeisland.com/symbolgy.phtml

> c) Which type of barcode scanner to buy for tests?

Buy the brand and model that will be used in production. Symbol is
a popular brand, but not the oinly one. Obviously, make sure that
itis compatible with the barcode that you select, although many
scanners are able to read different symbologies.

> d) How to detect if a barcode scanner device is attached to the client
> computer?

This might not be possible, depending on the scanner type that you
select. Fact is, the use of the scanner is supposed to be transparent to
the application. Why would you want to check if a scanner is attached
to the PC? If it is, just use it, if not, have the user type in the customer
id.

> e) How to get a barcode value in a variable in my application?

This depends on the type of BC scanner that you get. If it connects via
the serial port then you might need a special routine that getsthe scanned
data. In this case the ode will allow you to read in data from the serial
port and assign it to any variable, data structre or text control that your
applicaction has. If the scanner connects to the keyboard port then
whatever you scan is piped through the keyboard interface as though
you have typed it in yourself. In this case, the scanned data will end up
anywhere where the text cursor is at. If you open Notepad, you can scan
right into. Although the KB scanner requires less code (in fact none at all)
some like the serial scanner because they offer more ocntrol, at the cost
of needing more code. If the scanner connects to the USB port then it
might have the ability to mimic either of the the modes described above.

Some don;t like the KB scanner becasue this allows the user to positon
the text cursosr anywhere where text input is allowed and be able to read
BCs into the text area. This might cause the user to inout the scanned data
into text areas where this is not desired. It cal also be a breach of
security
because it is very easy to collect scanned data into any application that
accepts text input, such as text editor, word processors and many more.

Inthe end, the needs dictate the type of scanner and barcode that you will
be using. If you use the scanner that connects to the KB, have your app
only allow input into the specific field where the cust id goes. Only after
this field has been entered/scanned will the other fields be available.
While this is not a fool proof method, it does minimize data enry errors.

From: David Kerber on
In article <uF6#e828KHA.2248(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>,
nospam.pmpcosta(a)netcabo.pt says...

> Hi, friends
>
> I want to add barcode scanning capability to a next release of my
> application. A barcode with the identification of the customer will be

I just did this in the last 6 weeks for my app.

I didn't read your link, but:

> a) Is it possible to implement this?

Adding barcode printing and scanning is easy.

> b) Which type of barcode should be used in this type of application?

Code 39 (officially "3 of 9") is probably the most common. The standard
code 39 does numbers and capital letters, and maybe a couple of
punctuation chars (I don't remember for sure which ones becasue we don't
use them). Code 39 Extended adds lower-case letters and most of the
rest of the basic printable ASCII character set.

> c) Which type of barcode scanner to buy for tests?

Any. We use one by a company called Wasp: www.waspbarcode.com. Their
starter set is pretty inexpensive ($139 IIRC) for a scanner and two or
three basic software applications.

> d) How to detect if a barcode scanner device is attached to the client
> computer?

You don't really need to: the scanner acts like a keyboard, so you put
the focus into a text entry box, and your users can either type into it,
or use the scanner, whichever they feel like.

> e) How to get a barcode value in a variable in my application?

See question d; It comes in as a string of characters.

> Thanks for any advice,

There are lots of free barcode fonts out there, and the two I've tried
both work fine, so you have a lot of options when it comes to generating
your stickers.

From: Helmut Meukel on
The simplest way to attach a barcode scanner is to use one which is
connected between keyboard and PC, thus being transparent for OS
and your app. Most scanners are able to decode different barcodes types
and transfer the date to the PC.

Use for your tests the same type of scanner that will be used in production!

For printing the barcodes, try different free Truetype fonts.

I found it's best to use the same printer type and paper as will be used in
production and try out different font sizes. I installed the Truetype fonts
on my PC and used Word to print the different fonts in different sizes.
Then I used a tiny test program to read the barcode into a textbox.
Some fonts made problems in some font sizes. In our case we had to use
colored paper - light green - and a HP Laserjet and the scanner had problems
to read the barcodes from this paper with font sizes below 14.
With one font the scanner had no problem with size 12 and 15 but choked
with font sizes 13 and 14.

We used Code39, because our OrderNo contained only numbers and
uppercase characters.

Helmut.

From: Paulo on
Hi, Saga

"Saga" <antiSpam(a)nowhere.com> wrote:

> Is your app printing the form?
> ... ...
> So does that mean that you also need to generate the barcode? If so, go
> back
> to Google and search for barcode fonts.This is the least painful way to
> draw
> the barcode when printing the form.
Yes, it is to be printed. I think this part is done, because I found some
code and fonts at SourceForge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/openbarcodes/files/openbarcodes/openbarcodes.zip

> Depends on the customer id. Is it just digits? Does it include letters?
> Is it very long (8 chars or more)? Basically, the two types of barcodes
> that are used are Code 3 of 9 or Code 128.
The customes Id is numeric only (a Long data type) so it will be only a few
digits.

> Go here to learn more about barcodes:
> http://www.barcodeisland.com/symbolgy.phtml
Very good stuff.

Actually, I will not need to know if a barcode scanner is attached or not.
I'm learning...

Thanks a lot for your advice, Saga.

Paulo
-----