From: mcnews on
On May 20, 9:45 am, "Henning" <computer_h...(a)coldmail.com> wrote:
> "mcnews" <mcour...(a)mindspring.com> skrev i meddelandetnews:e4bece33-29cd-47ac-9775-dc83ccee791f(a)e21g2000vbl.googlegroups.com...
> On May 14, 10:10 am, "Paulo" <nospam.pmpco...(a)netcabo.pt> wrote:
>

> > Hi, friends
>
> > I want to add barcode scanning capability to a next release of my
> > application. A barcode with the identification of the customer will be
> > printed in a form. After to fill in the form, customer sends back the
> > report
> > to my client. The operator of my application should be able to read the
> > customer identification with a barcode scanner and, at this time, should
> > be
> > automaticaly loaded a dialog in order the operator to update data.
>
> > Searching in the internet I found inWikipedia some useful code to draw the
> > barcode, but couldn't find any good tutorial:
>
> >http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=vb+vb6+barcode+scan+draw+tut...
>
> > I am completely new to this, and have some questions:
>
> > a) Is it possible to implement this?
> > b) Which type of barcode should be used in this type of application?
> > c) Which type of barcode scanner to buy for tests?
> > d) How to detect if a barcode scanner device is attached to the client
> > computer?
> > e) How to get a barcode value in a variable in my application?
>
> > Thanks for any advice,
>
> > Paulo
> > -----
> > _I want my Classic VB_
>
> it's pretty simple really.  buy a scanner and plug it in, download a
> 39 font, put a textbox on your form, write some code to deal with the
> input, run your app, put the cursor in the textbox, scan your barcode
> - bingo.
> don't use a keyboard wedge.  when they become disabled (which they
> often do) you have to reboot.  i've used USB hand-helds that cost $50
> or so that work fine.  i've also used remote scanners that dump
> multiple scanned codes via a USB receiver.
>
> I have used wireless barcode scanners as keyboard wedge for over 10 years,
> without *any* problems. With up to 4 scanners per app, using a prefix
> (DC1,DC2,DC3,DC4) and a suffix (CR), catching what is keyboard or scanner
> input has never failed. Secondly, I don't even need the scanner for testing.
> Just key-in Ctrl-Q, the code, Ctrl-M, to fake a reader input.
>
> /Henning

there are always exceptions. i'll admit that i haven't done anything
with VB and barcodes for over 8 years, but i remember having trouble
with the very first keyboard wedge that i tried. even the vendors i
used steered me off wedges.
From: Helmut Meukel on
"mcnews" <mcourter(a)mindspring.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
| On May 20, 9:45 am, "Henning" <computer_h...(a)coldmail.com> wrote:
| > "mcnews" <mcour...(a)mindspring.com> skrev i
meddelandetnews:e4bece33-29cd-47ac-9775-dc83ccee791f(a)e21g2000vbl.googlegroups.com...
| > On May 14, 10:10 am, "Paulo" <nospam.pmpco...(a)netcabo.pt> wrote:
| >
| > > Hi, friends
| >
| > > I want to add barcode scanning capability to a next release of my
| > > application. A barcode with the identification of the customer will be
| > > printed in a form. After to fill in the form, customer sends back the
| > > report
| > > to my client. The operator of my application should be able to read the
| > > customer identification with a barcode scanner and, at this time, should
| > > be
| > > automaticaly loaded a dialog in order the operator to update data.
| >
| > > Searching in the internet I found inWikipedia some useful code to draw the
| > > barcode, but couldn't find any good tutorial:
| >
| > >http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=vb+vb6+barcode+scan+draw+tut...
| >
| > > I am completely new to this, and have some questions:
| >
| > > a) Is it possible to implement this?
| > > b) Which type of barcode should be used in this type of application?
| > > c) Which type of barcode scanner to buy for tests?
| > > d) How to detect if a barcode scanner device is attached to the client
| > > computer?
| > > e) How to get a barcode value in a variable in my application?
| >
| > > Thanks for any advice,
| >
| > > Paulo
| > > -----
| > > _I want my Classic VB_
| >
| > it's pretty simple really. buy a scanner and plug it in, download a
| > 39 font, put a textbox on your form, write some code to deal with the
| > input, run your app, put the cursor in the textbox, scan your barcode
| > - bingo.
| > don't use a keyboard wedge. when they become disabled (which they
| > often do) you have to reboot. i've used USB hand-helds that cost $50
| > or so that work fine. i've also used remote scanners that dump
| > multiple scanned codes via a USB receiver.
| >
| > I have used wireless barcode scanners as keyboard wedge for over 10 years,
| > without *any* problems. With up to 4 scanners per app, using a prefix
| > (DC1,DC2,DC3,DC4) and a suffix (CR), catching what is keyboard or scanner
| > input has never failed. Secondly, I don't even need the scanner for testing.
| > Just key-in Ctrl-Q, the code, Ctrl-M, to fake a reader input.
| >
| > /Henning
|
| there are always exceptions. i'll admit that i haven't done anything
| with VB and barcodes for over 8 years, but i remember having trouble
| with the very first keyboard wedge that i tried. even the vendors i
| used steered me off wedges.

Maybe your case is the exception.

I've similar experiences as Henning. I created an app for a customer
to read the order number from the routing slip and we used scanners
with a cable and keyboard wedge without *any* problems.
We had used some old equipment inherited from another branch of
the company. It worked out so well that I was asked to add the scanning
capability to my main app. I told them to buy similar scanners to plug
between keyboard and PC and no upgrade of my app would be necessary.
They finally purchased the scanners and payed me to be on site in case
any problem would arise. As I had foretold all went well.

Helmut.

From: Michael Courter on

"Helmut Meukel" <NoSpam(a)NoProvider.de> wrote in message
> "mcnews" <mcourter(a)mindspring.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> | On May 20, 9:45 am, "Henning" <computer_h...(a)coldmail.com> wrote:
> | > "mcnews" <mcour...(a)mindspring.com> skrev i
> meddelandetnews:e4bece33-29cd-47ac-9775-dc83ccee791f(a)e21g2000vbl.googlegroups.com...

> be
> the
> the
> should

> draw the
> | >

> >http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=vb+vb6+barcode+scan+draw+tut...

> client

> | > it's pretty simple really. buy a scanner and plug it in, download a
> | > 39 font, put a textbox on your form, write some code to deal with the
> | > input, run your app, put the cursor in the textbox, scan your barcode
> | > - bingo.
> | > don't use a keyboard wedge. when they become disabled (which they
> | > often do) you have to reboot. i've used USB hand-helds that cost $50
> | > or so that work fine. i've also used remote scanners that dump
> | > multiple scanned codes via a USB receiver.
> | >
> | > I have used wireless barcode scanners as keyboard wedge for over 10
> years,
> | > without *any* problems. With up to 4 scanners per app, using a prefix
> | > (DC1,DC2,DC3,DC4) and a suffix (CR), catching what is keyboard or
> scanner
> | > input has never failed. Secondly, I don't even need the scanner for
> testing.
> | > Just key-in Ctrl-Q, the code, Ctrl-M, to fake a reader input.
> | >
> | > /Henning
> |
> | there are always exceptions. i'll admit that i haven't done anything
> | with VB and barcodes for over 8 years, but i remember having trouble
> | with the very first keyboard wedge that i tried. even the vendors i
> | used steered me off wedges.
> |

> Maybe your case is the exception.
>
> I've similar experiences as Henning. I created an app for a customer
> to read the order number from the routing slip and we used scanners
> with a cable and keyboard wedge without *any* problems.
> We had used some old equipment inherited from another branch of
> the company. It worked out so well that I was asked to add the scanning
> capability to my main app. I told them to buy similar scanners to plug
> between keyboard and PC and no upgrade of my app would be necessary.
> They finally purchased the scanners and payed me to be on site in case
> any problem would arise. As I had foretold all went well.

well there you go.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Followup