From: Michael Vogel on
Hi there,

BD wrote:
> I'd like to find a P&S that allows the use of remote slave flashes for
> better control of subject lighting.

Here's one: Canon PowerShot A590IS. I use it on full manual, which
disables the pre-flash so I can use a cheap optical slave-trigger. Works
fine.

> And that allows for apertures wider than f/4.

The A590 goes down to f/2.6.

> And supports the use of RAW files for post-adjustment as necessary.

By using CHDK, I'm able to shoot RAW - altough it not that much of use
on a P&S.

> And supports continuous focus for tracking of moving subject in burst
> mode.
>
> Oh... and that *has* a burst mode to speak of.

Well, you got me here. OMG! A P&S without focus tracking and slower than
10fps. How could they possibly dare to sell something like this for as
much as 170 bucks new?!? (<- irony)

> Can you name a P&S that does all these things?

Btw.: Can YOU name a DSLR, that one can easily shove into one's pocket
(jacket, not trousers), weights under 250g (with lens)
and costs under 170$ new? ;-)

cu
Michael
From: Chris Malcolm on
In rec.photo.digital bugbear <bugbear(a)trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
> DanP wrote:
>> Try making a HDR from a single exposure. With RAW it is posible.

> RAW just expresses what the sensor captured.

> Surely that implies the sensor is inherently HDR;

All it implies is that the RAW file covers a significantly wider
dynamic range than can be expressed in a jpeg image. Which is in fact
the case for most image sensors these days.

--
Chris Malcolm
From: Ofnuts on
On 03/02/2010 17:18, NameHere wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 10:54:41 +0100, Ofnuts<o.f.n.u.t.s(a)la.poste.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On 03/02/2010 01:57, NameHere wrote:
>>
>>> Only DSLR proponents are followers. They can never think for themselves.
>>> Even worse, they doubt their choices so much that they don't feel
>>> vindicated unless they can convince everyone else to believe as they
>>> believe and make the same camera purchasing mistakes that they make in
>>> life. The greater their insistence to have others buy DSLRs the more they
>>> show their insecurity in their own decision to do so.
>>
>> *woop* *woop* Ironymeter overload!!! Replace "DSLR" by "P&S" in the
>> sentence above and look in you mirror....
>>
>>> Just like those who
>>> doubt their religions the most, always being the most vocal about wanting
>>> others to believe as they do. Because if they can convince someone else,
>>> then perhaps they can stop doubting their own beliefs so much. It's that
>>> simple.
>>
>> So that explains why you spend so much time convincing us. Because if
>> you check this forum, you alone have spent more megabytes
>> boasting/trying to convince people of the superiority of P&S than any of
>> the assumed DSLR minions.
>
> I do no such thing. I merely state the facts every time a DSLR-worshipper
> is deriding all other cameras. You don't read and comprehend very clearly
> do you. But then that's to be expected of anyone who has their mind engaged
> in blind-worship. Put some more blinders on. I don't think you've
> brainwashed yourself enough.

You naughty boy, you just blew again my just repaired ironymeter.

--
Bertrand
From: Paul Furman on
On 2/3/2010 5:00 AM, DanP wrote:
> the insufferable troll wrote:
>> BD wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to find a P&S that allows the use of remote slave flashes for
>>> better control of subject lighting.
>>
>> They all can.
>
> I own a P&S Canon SX100 which can only use the built in flash.

Remote flashes can be triggered by flash, right? No TTL metering though.

> Never seen one with f/2.0. And if there is it would be more expensive
> than my Canon 500D with a 50mm f/1.8.

Similar, with much more zoom & less high ISO performance.

> But if you want to taka a stab do this http://www.flickr.com/photos/danpetre/4196700817/

ISO 800 1/4000 sec f/8.0 28mm eq.
Interesting perspective, I like that you did it with no flash.

I met a guy doing travel photography, trying to make a living at it &
managing OK from what I could tell. He used a P&S because he liked to
travel obscure places in India & be unobtrusive. He had lots of nice
work. Anything is possible. There are billions of stunning photos out
there that a cell phone could capture.

From: BD on

> I do no such thing. I merely state the facts every time a DSLR-worshipper
> is deriding all other cameras. You don't read and comprehend very clearly

The only derision I see her is coming from you.

Hypocrites. Gotta love 'em.