From: Peter Hanke on
For which type of Linux distro are *.bin install packages?

Can I install them on all platforms (Ubuntu/Debian, CentOS/RedHat, Solaris)?

How can I peek into such packages and list e.g. the contetn resp. get information about it?

Peter

From: Grant Edwards on
On 2010-08-05, Peter Hanke <peter_ha(a)andres.net> wrote:

> For which type of Linux distro are *.bin install packages?

The .bin files that I've seen are vendor-specific (usually they're
shell-scripts containing binary blobs) that are intended to install
independently of the platform's package system.

> Can I install them on all platforms (Ubuntu/Debian, CentOS/RedHat,
> Solaris)?

That depends on the particular .bin file.

> How can I peek into such packages and list e.g. the contetn resp. get
> information about it?

The same way you look at any file:

file
hexdump
od
less
vi/emacs

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I'm definitely not
at in Omaha!
From: Jerry Peters on
In comp.os.linux.misc Grant Edwards <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 2010-08-05, Peter Hanke <peter_ha(a)andres.net> wrote:
>
>> For which type of Linux distro are *.bin install packages?
>
> The .bin files that I've seen are vendor-specific (usually they're
> shell-scripts containing binary blobs) that are intended to install
> independently of the platform's package system.
>
>> Can I install them on all platforms (Ubuntu/Debian, CentOS/RedHat,
>> Solaris)?
>
> That depends on the particular .bin file.
>
>> How can I peek into such packages and list e.g. the contetn resp. get
>> information about it?
>
> The same way you look at any file:
>
> file
> hexdump
> od
> less
> vi/emacs

I'd add mc which can look into some types of archive formats. Also it
has a nice hex viewer.

Jerry