From: Andrew on
I've been turning off unnecessary services on a small server and ran into a
couple that were confusing.

1. nmap listed a service running on several ports titled simply 'status'.
This being a difficult term to get useful google results out of, I am
trying to find out exactly what it is. Can anyone enlighten me?

2. smtp is running on port 25. I do not at present intend to send mail
through this server, but I'm hesitant to turn it off; I seem to recall that
local mail is used by several aspects of linux and that closing it may
cause problems for other stuff. So, a question: If I shut smtp off, what is
that likely to break?

nmap output below if it's useful.

PORT STATE SERVICE VERSION
25/tcp open smtp Exim smtpd 4.72
53/tcp open domain ISC BIND 9.7.0-P1
80/tcp open http Apache httpd 2.2.15 ((Debian))
111/tcp open rpcbind
| rpcinfo:
| 100000 2 111/udp rpcbind
| 100003 2,3,4 2049/udp nfs
| 100024 1 38801/udp status
| 100021 1,3,4 44572/udp nlockmgr
| 100005 1,2,3 45685/udp mountd
| 100000 2 111/tcp rpcbind
| 100003 2,3,4 2049/tcp nfs
| 100024 1 42587/tcp status
| 100021 1,3,4 45846/tcp nlockmgr
|_ 100005 1,2,3 60446/tcp mountd
445/tcp open netbios-ssn Samba smbd 3.X
631/tcp open ipp CUPS 1.4
953/tcp open rndc?
2049/tcp open rpcbind
5432/tcp open postgresql PostgreSQL DB
42587/tcp open rpcbind
45846/tcp open rpcbind
49152/tcp open upnp MediaTomb UPnP 0.12.0
From: Aragorn on
On Wednesday 04 August 2010 22:05 in comp.os.linux.misc, somebody
identifying as Andrew wrote...

> I've been turning off unnecessary services on a small server and ran
> into a couple that were confusing.
>
> 1. nmap listed a service running on several ports titled simply
> 'status'. This being a difficult term to get useful google results out
> of, I am trying to find out exactly what it is. Can anyone enlighten
> me?

[04:39:12][localhost:/home/aragorn]
[aragorn] $> apropos status
cups-lpd (8) - receive print jobs and report printer status
to lpd clients
Curses::UI::Dialog::Status (3pm) - Create and manipulate status dialogs
HTTP::Status (3pm) - HTTP Status code processing
iecset (1) - Set or dump IEC958 status bits
ifplugstatus (8) - A link beat detection tool
lpq [lpq-cups] (1) - show printer queue status
lpstat [lpstat-cups] (1) - print cups status information
mii-tool (8) - view, manipulate media-independent interface
status
ntpstat (1) - show network time synchronisation status
ocsp (1) - Online Certificate Status Protocol utility
pppoe.conf [pppoe] (5) - Configuration file used by pppoe - start(8),
pppoe - stop(8), pppoe-status(8) and pppoe-connect(8)
pppoe-status (8) - Shell script to report on status of PPPoE
link
skill (1) - send a signal or report process status
smbstatus (1) - report on current Samba connections
snice [skill] (1) - send a signal or report process status
stat (1) - display file or file system status

I would suggest that, if all else fails, you would locate the binary and
check its /man/ page. :p

> 2. smtp is running on port 25. I do not at present intend to send mail
> through this server, but I'm hesitant to turn it off; I seem to recall
> that local mail is used by several aspects of linux and that closing
> it may cause problems for other stuff. So, a question: If I shut smtp
> off, what is that likely to break?

It is possible that one of the websites running off of your machine
requires an SMTP server. Without knowing what the machine is doing and
what kinds of websites it is running, it is probably safest for me to
advise you to keep the SMTP running.

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Aragorn wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 August 2010 22:05 in comp.os.linux.misc, somebody
> identifying as Andrew wrote...
>
>> I've been turning off unnecessary services on a small server and ran
>> into a couple that were confusing.
>>
>> 1. nmap listed a service running on several ports titled simply
>> 'status'. This being a difficult term to get useful google results out
>> of, I am trying to find out exactly what it is. Can anyone enlighten
>> me?
>
> [04:39:12][localhost:/home/aragorn]
> [aragorn] $> apropos status
> cups-lpd (8) - receive print jobs and report printer status
> to lpd clients
> Curses::UI::Dialog::Status (3pm) - Create and manipulate status dialogs
> HTTP::Status (3pm) - HTTP Status code processing
> iecset (1) - Set or dump IEC958 status bits
> ifplugstatus (8) - A link beat detection tool
> lpq [lpq-cups] (1) - show printer queue status
> lpstat [lpstat-cups] (1) - print cups status information
> mii-tool (8) - view, manipulate media-independent interface
> status
> ntpstat (1) - show network time synchronisation status
> ocsp (1) - Online Certificate Status Protocol utility
> pppoe.conf [pppoe] (5) - Configuration file used by pppoe - start(8),
> pppoe - stop(8), pppoe-status(8) and pppoe-connect(8)
> pppoe-status (8) - Shell script to report on status of PPPoE
> link
> skill (1) - send a signal or report process status
> smbstatus (1) - report on current Samba connections
> snice [skill] (1) - send a signal or report process status
> stat (1) - display file or file system status
>
> I would suggest that, if all else fails, you would locate the binary and
> check its /man/ page. :p
>
>> 2. smtp is running on port 25. I do not at present intend to send mail
>> through this server, but I'm hesitant to turn it off; I seem to recall
>> that local mail is used by several aspects of linux and that closing
>> it may cause problems for other stuff. So, a question: If I shut smtp
>> off, what is that likely to break?
>
> It is possible that one of the websites running off of your machine
> requires an SMTP server. Without knowing what the machine is doing and
> what kinds of websites it is running, it is probably safest for me to
> advise you to keep the SMTP running.

unfortunately, you need to keep a daemon running even for 'send only'
because it will flush the mail queues of stuff that fails to go
instantly, and retry it. You can run e.g. sendmail under a cron script
to do the same however.

From: mjt on
On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 16:05:33 -0400
Andrew <none(a)none.com> wrote:

> 1. nmap listed a service running on several ports titled simply
> 'status'.

"status" is a function of NFS - it's the network status monitor

Use "http://www.google.com/linux" for more accurate "Linux" searches

--
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense
enough to be lazy. - Charlie McCarthy

From: J G Miller on
On Wednesday, August 4th, 2010, at 16:19:15h -0500, Mjt explained:

> "status" is a function of NFS - it's the network status monitor

Indeed.

man statd

The rpc.statd server implements the NSM (Network Status Monitor) RPC
protocol. This service is somewhat misnamed, since it doesn't actually
provide active monitoring as one might suspect; instead, NSM implements
a reboot notification service. It is used by the NFS file locking ser-
vice, rpc.lockd, to implement lock recovery when the NFS server machine
crashes and reboots.

It is *not* needed for NFSv4.