From: Sidney Lambe on
On comp.os.linux.misc, Andrew <none(a)none.com> wrote:

> I've been turning off unnecessary services on a small server
> and ran into a couple that were confusing.
>
> 1. nmap listed a service running on several ports titled simply
> 'status'. This being a difficult term to get useful google
> results out of, I am trying to find out exactly what it is. Can
> anyone enlighten me?

Never heard of it. lsof might help you track down the executable
involved and then you could try using its name --help or -h, etc.
If all else fails you can do:

strings <its name> | less

and see what's in there that's human readable.

Block the port with iptables and see what happens...

> 2. smtp is running on port 25. I do not at present intend to
> send mail through this server, but I'm hesitant to turn it off;
> I seem to recall that local mail is used by several aspects of
> linux and that closing it may cause problems for other stuff.
> So, a question: If I shut smtp off, what is that likely to
> break?

That would be internal. You can block your MTA from being
accessible from the intranet or internet and sending mail to the
intrannet or internet.

Sid