From: i dude eclair on
having a wee bit of trouble convincing domain users to log off.

Can't use hours utility, due to the fact they come in all hours of the day.

screen saver would be the last and least desirable option

hints?
From: John John - MVP on
On 8/11/2010 12:26 PM, i dude eclair wrote:
> having a wee bit of trouble convincing domain users to log off.
>
> Can't use hours utility, due to the fact they come in all hours of the day.
>
> screen saver would be the last and least desirable option
>

> hints?

Use the Resource Kit's Winexit.scr.

How To Force Users to Quit Programs and Log Off After a Period of
Inactivity in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314999

John
From: i dude eclair on
John John - MVP <audetweld(a)nbnot.nb.ca> wrote in news:#9UARuWOLHA.5860
@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl:

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314999

"screen saver is the last and least desirable option"

thanks tho.
From: John John - MVP on
i dude eclair wrote:
> John John - MVP <audetweld(a)nbnot.nb.ca> wrote in news:#9UARuWOLHA.5860
> @TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl:
>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314999
>

> "screen saver is the last and least desirable option"

In which case you will have to fiddle with running a scheduled task on
idle time or resort to third party utilities. Or wait and see if
Microsoft writes a GPO for this with Server 2010...

John
From: Todd Vargo on
i dude eclair wrote:
> John John - MVP wrote:
>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314999
>

> "screen saver is the last and least desirable option"

You could send your people a memo threatening suspension of anyone who goes
home without logging off. Same goes for anyone putting their password on the
front of the monitor for the world to see.

Unless you can come up with something better, I believe you are at your last
option, so don't fight the least desirable. However, if you can explain a
reason to not use the suggested screen saver option, we would be better
informed.

--
Todd Vargo

(Post questions to group only. Remove "z" to email personal messages)