From: RobV on
I'm using MS Project to do research on Earned Value and need to have specific
EVs in specific time periods for each task in the test schedule. The
schedule needs to be dynamic, i.e., no constraints on tasks. I've been able
to get the Planned Values (BCWS) set up, but I'm having trouble getting MSP
to assign the required Earned Values (BCWP) within the target time period for
each task. I'd appreciate any ideas on how to make this work.
From: G�rard Ducouret on
Hello Rob,

I don't really understand what you mean by "forcing" EV.
By default Project calculates the BCWS and BCWP while you or your resource
enter actual work (after you set the Baseline and the Status date)
You can display the BCWP in the Earned Value table, and also in the Task
Usage view (with a timescale)

G�rard Ducouret

"RobV" <RobV(a)discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
511BE47B-ACA6-4B47-AA55-98169EEE8390(a)microsoft.com...

From: Andrew Lavinsky on
Just to add to Gerard's comments, is the issue the fact that the work in your
simulation is not being performed according to the schedule? Are you using %
Complete or Physical % Complete to calculate costs? If the first, I would
wonder if there's an issue with the update calculations and the Status Date
that is driving the issue.

Either switch to Physical % Complete or review the update options in Tools >
Options > Calculations (or is it Schedule - I don't have Project open in
front of me) and see if that perhaps is causing the work to be spread
inaccurately.

From: RobV on
Thanks to both of you for the comments. Let me explain the challenge a bit
more. The test schedule needs to produce specific earned value by task in a
specific time period without introducing task constraints. I have included a
sample below. I have been able to manipulate (a better word than "force")
MSP so that it calculates the PV as required, but when it calculates the EV,
the costs in the target time periods are not exactly what they need to be.
What I'm trying to figure out is how to manipulate MSP so that it calculates
the EV in the pattern I require.

Here is a sample pattern of Planned Value, Earned Value, and Actual Cost.
By manipulating work and resource utilization %, I can get MSP to match the
PV. I can enter the AC manually. But, how do I get MSP to calculate the EV
in this pattern?
Jan Feb Mar Apr May
Task1 PV 5 5 5
EV 4 5 6
AC 5 5 7

From: Andrew Lavinsky on
Let's say that you baselined with one resource having a standard rate of
$1/hr. For the task in question, you baselined at 15 hours over a duration
of 3 months.

Then, to get the numbers you seek, I would go to the Resource Usage view,
add the Actual Work row (right click on the chart), and zoom out so that
I see each cell representing a single month.

Then input your desired EV numbers in each of the cells. (i.e. 0, 4, 5, etc.).

Based on your AC, you run a cost variance of $2 at some point in the project.
To model this, you'll need to modify the overall Work for the task from
15 to 17.

That should get you close to what you need.

- Andrew Lavinsky
Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm

Pages: 1 2
Prev: corrupt file