From: mec on
Hello,
I have a Windows 2000 domain with Exchange 2000 running on DCs. I attempted
to run adprep /forestprep and got this error: There is a schema conflict
with Exchange 2000. It referred me to KB325379. Those changes have already
been made, so I kept searching, and found KB917682. I folowed it and
modified the Home-Sync-Service and Child-Sync-Agreements attributes from the
Exchange 2003 CD.

Here's my question. The instructions I have say to run ADPrep /Forestprep,
then ADPrep /DomainPrep from the 2003 server CD, then Setup /ForestPrep and
Setup DomainPrep from the Exchange 2003 CD. Since ADPrep won't run, is that
necessary? Do I need to run ADPrep /ForestPrep and DomainPrep or can I just
run Setup /ForestPrep followed by Setup/DomainPrep?

Thanks!

From: Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS] on
Hello mec,

Your complete error message will be helpful.

The biggest problem i know, with upgrading the schema for 2003 when Exchange
2000 is running, is this:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314649

Also preparing the AD for 2003 with the adprep from 2003 is a different one
from the Exchange preparation.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

From: mec on
Hi Meinolf,

Thanks for your reply. Here is the entire message:

Adprep was unable to extend the schema.
[Status/Consequence]
There is a schema conflict with Exchange 2000. The schema is not upgraded.
[User Action]
The schema conflict must be resolved before running adprep. Resolve the
schema conflict, allow the change to replicate between all replication
partners, and then run Adprep. For information on resolving the conflict,
see Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q325379.

I've already made the changes that 314649 refers to.

I understand that the 2 adpreps are different; I was just asking if there is
a particular order that they should be run in.

Thanks!

From: Florian Frommherz [MVP] on
Howdie!

mec schrieb:
> Adprep was unable to extend the schema.
> [Status/Consequence]
> There is a schema conflict with Exchange 2000. The schema is not upgraded.
> [User Action]
> The schema conflict must be resolved before running adprep. Resolve the
> schema conflict, allow the change to replicate between all replication
> partners, and then run Adprep. For information on resolving the conflict,
> see Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q325379.
>
> I've already made the changes that 314649 refers to.

KB314649? Have you check the suggestions that 325379 (as referenced in
the error message) has? Have you confirmed the changes have replicated?

Cheers,
Florian
--
Microsoft MVP - Group Policy
eMail: prename [at] frickelsoft [dot] net.
From: mec on
Hi Florian,

Yes, I made the changes the 325379 suggest. They involve changing 2
attributes in a file so you can run setup /forestprep from the Exchange 2003
CD. My question is if I can run that before running Adprep /forestprep.

Thanks!

"Florian Frommherz [MVP]" <florian(a)frickelsoft.DELETETHIS.net> wrote in
message news:%232GLy5XXKHA.3696(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...