From: Drizztdj on
While I use Access often, I'm not much of a programmer but can read most of
it.

My question is I am trying to build a form which pulls information from two
different places:

ContactTable
GroupTable

All of the information from the ContactTable is found within the GroupTable.
My objective is to have the user open the form and see the contact
information in a subform triggered from a vendor number, but not be able to
change that information while being able to create a new record from other
fields.

Also, if the vendor number has not been used before, or no contact
information is available unlock the subform so the user can enter address
information.

Wish I could explain this better.
From: Jeanette Cunningham on
Where you wrote:
"All of the information from the ContactTable is found within the
GroupTable",

This will make things more difficult.
If you set up your tables so that the Group table has only the Primary key
from the Contact table, this allows easy set up of main form and subform.
Also you mention vendor number.

If you post back with a more complete description of what you are trying to
do, we will be able to suggest a workable table setup.
Once the tables are set up correctly, it will be much easier to build the
forms and subforms.

From: John W. Vinson on
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 09:02:01 -0700, Drizztdj
<Drizztdj(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>While I use Access often, I'm not much of a programmer but can read most of
>it.
>
>My question is I am trying to build a form which pulls information from two
>different places:
>
>ContactTable
>GroupTable
>
>All of the information from the ContactTable is found within the GroupTable.

Eh?

That would imply that you're storing the same data redundantly in two
different tables, and that the ContactTable should probably simply not exist!

Am I misinterpreting that sentence?

> My objective is to have the user open the form and see the contact
>information in a subform triggered from a vendor number, but not be able to
>change that information while being able to create a new record from other
>fields.

Again: create a new record from other fields sounds redundant, and *wrong*.

>Also, if the vendor number has not been used before, or no contact
>information is available unlock the subform so the user can enter address
>information.
>
>Wish I could explain this better.

It would certainly help if you did. What are the fields (or some relevant
fields) of the two tables? What (if anything) is the Primary Key of each
table? what (if any) is the Relationship between the two tables? What
real-life Entity (person, thing, event) does each table model?
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]