From: RA on
This is a very basic database.

It contains 3 tables:
1- Residence's names, address, phone number's, emails and the such
2- Reciept - or money collected for our neighborhood project (this is the
one I'm trying to update, it only contains street number, street name Payment
type and amount)
3- Cash outflows

What I'm hopeing to do is to be able to just type in a name and have the
form provide the street number and street name in the combo boxes.

From: John W. Vinson on
On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 06:13:01 -0700, RA <RA(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>This is a very basic database.
>
>It contains 3 tables:
>1- Residence's names, address, phone number's, emails and the such
>2- Reciept - or money collected for our neighborhood project (this is the
>one I'm trying to update, it only contains street number, street name Payment
>type and amount)
>3- Cash outflows
>
>What I'm hopeing to do is to be able to just type in a name and have the
>form provide the street number and street name in the combo boxes.

You're making a very common mistake: trying to store the same data (street
number, street name) in two different tables. That's not how relational
databases work! The address should exist *ONLY* in the table of residences; it
should not be copied into the Receipts table. Instead you should have only a
"foreign key" - the Residences table should have a primary key (it can be an
autonumber, or a Number that you maintain yourself, just so it's unique and
stable); the Receipts table should contain a field of the same type (Long
Integer if you use an autonumber) as a link to the residences table. There
should be *nothing* else from the first table in the second!

If you're using table datasheets with combo boxes... don't. Table datasheets
aren't designed for data interaction, and are very limited. Instead you can
use a Form based on Residences, with two subforms - one based on Receipts and
(if appropriate) the other based on Outflows, using the residence ID as the
master/child link field. You can have a combo box on the mainform to
*navigate* to a particular residence; the subform will display receipts for
that residence, and you can see the address on the mainform in conjunction
with the receipts on the subform.
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]