From: Scott on
I regularly image my WinXP and Win98 hard drives using Acronis 8.
I have a new external hard drive, which I divided it into two partitions...
one for NTFS and one for FAT32. I image my Win98 drives to the
FAT 32 partition. I see that Acronis divides the image into several
3.99 GB files. There can be several of them. On my older external
drive, I imaged the Win98 drives onto the NTFS formatted hard drive.
I never had any problem restoring back to a Win98 drive from the
NTFS drive.

I'm wondering if there's any advantage to restoring all those multiple
3.99GB image files to a Win98 drive that way?

It seems so much simpler just to have one file for each drive image.

Thanks!
Scott

From: Andy on
On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 21:53:49 -0600, "Scott" <golden(a)uslink.net> wrote:

>I regularly image my WinXP and Win98 hard drives using Acronis 8.
>I have a new external hard drive, which I divided it into two partitions...
>one for NTFS and one for FAT32. I image my Win98 drives to the
>FAT 32 partition. I see that Acronis divides the image into several
>3.99 GB files. There can be several of them. On my older external
>drive, I imaged the Win98 drives onto the NTFS formatted hard drive.
>I never had any problem restoring back to a Win98 drive from the
>NTFS drive.
>
>I'm wondering if there's any advantage to restoring all those multiple
>3.99GB image files to a Win98 drive that way?
>
>It seems so much simpler just to have one file for each drive image.
>
>Thanks!
>Scott

Four gigabytes is the maximum size of a file on a FAT32 drive.

From: Leonard Grey on
The maximum file size supported by FAT32 is 4GB.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 21:53:49 -0600, "Scott" <golden(a)uslink.net> wrote:

> I regularly image my WinXP and Win98 hard drives using Acronis 8.
> I have a new external hard drive, which I divided it into two partitions...
> one for NTFS and one for FAT32. I image my Win98 drives to the
> FAT 32 partition. I see that Acronis divides the image into several
> 3.99 GB files. There can be several of them. On my older external
> drive, I imaged the Win98 drives onto the NTFS formatted hard drive.
> I never had any problem restoring back to a Win98 drive from the
> NTFS drive.
>
> I'm wondering if there's any advantage to restoring all those multiple
> 3.99GB image files to a Win98 drive that way?
>
> It seems so much simpler just to have one file for each drive image.

Acronis has no choice. It is creating the maximum file size possible
for a FAT32 volume.

One of the many advantages of NTFS is that it doesn't have this
restriction.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Scott on

"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message

> On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 21:53:49 -0600, "Scott" <golden(a)uslink.net> wrote:
>
>> I regularly image my WinXP and Win98 hard drives using Acronis 8.
>> I have a new external hard drive, which I divided it into two partitions...
>> one for NTFS and one for FAT32. I image my Win98 drives to the
>> FAT 32 partition. I see that Acronis divides the image into several
>> 3.99 GB files. There can be several of them. On my older external
>> drive, I imaged the Win98 drives onto the NTFS formatted hard drive.
>> I never had any problem restoring back to a Win98 drive from the
>> NTFS drive.
>>
>> I'm wondering if there's any advantage to restoring all those multiple
>> 3.99GB image files to a Win98 drive that way?
>>
>> It seems so much simpler just to have one file for each drive image.
>

> Acronis has no choice. It is creating the maximum file size possible
> for a FAT32 volume.
>
> One of the many advantages of NTFS is that it doesn't have this
> restriction.
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Ken,

Yes, I understand that 4GB is the maximum for FAT 32. Do you see
any problem with imaging a FAT32 drive to an NTFS drive and then
having Acronis restore it back to the FAT32 drive? It seems to restore
okay doing it this way.

Thanks!
Scott