From: Patti Barden on
Somewhere on my computer I saw that my hard drive was in NTFS but an
external harddrive I bought is installed as FAT32. The external hd says it
is best to run it in NTFS.

I haven't put anything on the external hd yet and have no idea how to
convert. Can any one point me in the right direction?
Patti

From: John John - MVP on
If you haven't yet put anything on the drive it's best to format it
rather than converting it. Right click on the drive and select the
Format option and then select NTFS in the File system box. You can also
do this from the Disk Management tool, to launch the Disk Management
console enter diskmgmt.msc in the Start menu Run box.

John

From: Bruce Chambers on
Patti Barden wrote:
> Somewhere on my computer I saw that my hard drive was in NTFS but an
> external harddrive I bought is installed as FAT32. The external hd says it
> is best to run it in NTFS.
>
> I haven't put anything on the external hd yet and have no idea how to
> convert. Can any one point me in the right direction?
> Patti

As you've nothing on the disk yet, it would be best, as "john John"
said to simply delete the existing FAT32 partition, create a new one,
and format it as NTFS to start.

For future reference, though:

You can safely convert your current hard drive to NTFS whenever
desired, without having to format the partition and reinstall
everything. As always when performing any serious changes, back up any
important data before proceeding, just in case. A little advance
preparation is also strongly recommended, so you can avoid any
performance hits caused by the default cluster size:

Converting FAT32 to NTFS in Windows
http://www.aumha.org/a/ntfscvt.htm

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 16:02:16 -0000, "Patti Barden" <patti(a)freeola.com>
wrote:

> Somewhere on my computer I saw that my hard drive was in NTFS but an
> external harddrive I bought is installed as FAT32.

One has nothing to do with another. You can have both at once.

> The external hd says it
> is best to run it in NTFS.

It has nothing to do with this drive or with it's being external. In
my view, it's best to run all drives as NTFS, *unless* you also want
to use it on an older non-NTFS-aware operating system, like Windows
98.

> I haven't put anything on the external hd yet and have no idea how to
> convert. Can any one point me in the right direction?

If there's nothing on it, don't convert it, just reformat it.
Right-click on it and choose Format.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Leonard Grey on
Mind if I stick my head in? Thanks, please see below, inline:
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 16:02:16 -0000, "Patti Barden" <patti(a)freeola.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Somewhere on my computer I saw that my hard drive was in NTFS but an
>> external harddrive I bought is installed as FAT32.
>

> One has nothing to do with another. You can have both at once.
>

>> The external hd says it
>> is best to run it in NTFS.
>

> It has nothing to do with this drive or with it's being external. In
> my view, it's best to run all drives as NTFS, *unless* you also want
> to use it on an older non-NTFS-aware operating system, like Windows
> 98.

"In my view, it's best to run all drives as NTFS..."

I understand that very well in the context of internal drives. However,
I don't understand the advantage of NTFS for an external drive used for
data or for backup.

If you plug an NTFS-formatted external hard drive into another computer
where you do /not/ have administrator permissions, you can't access the
data on the drive because NTFS enforces user account permissions. And
you can't use the data on the drive with a Mac. It's not the end of the
world, but you can think of situations where this could be inconvenient.

LG