From: Bruce Chambers on
Patti Barden wrote:
> Thanks Bruce. I am confused by what you mean "delete the existing FAT32
> partition."
>
> The external hd came Formatted in Fat32 and has no partitions.

Actually, there is a partition - a single one that takes up the entire
capacity of the disk.

> How do I
> create a new partition - will windows to that for me or do I need a
> Partition program. I have Partition Magic V6 but I am not sure that will
> work on XP.

You can do this with native WinXP tools. Right-click My Computer >
Manage > Disk Management, and then right-click the drive you want to
modify. You'll get a context menu that will allow you to delete,
create, and format partitions as desired.

> I also read your article re clusters, a bit complicated. You recommend
> BootItT NG
> and it sounds like a pretty complicated bit of kit.
> Patti

I offered it as I had no way of knowing your specific level of
technical "comfort." You'd only need to use that information if you
choose to *convert* the FAT32 partition to NTFS, rather than formatting it.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
From: Patti Barden on

"Leonard Grey" <l.grey(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Mind if I stick my head in? Thanks, please see below, inline:
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
>> On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 16:02:16 -0000, "Patti Barden" <patti(a)freeola.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Somewhere on my computer I saw that my hard drive was in NTFS but an
>>> external harddrive I bought is installed as FAT32.
>>

>> One has nothing to do with another. You can have both at once.
>>

>>> The external hd says it is best to run it in NTFS.
>>

>> It has nothing to do with this drive or with it's being external. In
>> my view, it's best to run all drives as NTFS, *unless* you also want
>> to use it on an older non-NTFS-aware operating system, like Windows
>> 98.
>>

> "In my view, it's best to run all drives as NTFS..."
>
> I understand that very well in the context of internal drives. However, I
> don't understand the advantage of NTFS for an external drive used for data
> or for backup.
>
> If you plug an NTFS-formatted external hard drive into another computer
> where you do /not/ have administrator permissions, you can't access the
> data on the drive because NTFS enforces user account permissions. And you
> can't use the data on the drive with a Mac. It's not the end of the world,
> but you can think of situations where this could be inconvenient.
>
> LG

LG, I don't understand admintrator permissions. I will only be using my
cloned
system copied to the external hard disk on another Windows system. I want to
be able to see what is on my external hard disk from another computer if I
need to.
Patti

From: Tim Meddick on
This is exactly what "Leonard Grey" and I were saying - IF you need to access the
drive on ANY other system than the one the data was created on you [may] have
problems if you can't log on as Administrator on the [new] machine.

*But, then if you're "cloning", that process copies [clones] the file-system [e.g.
NTFS + all it's permissions] as well, so you will not have a choice of what to
"format" the drive as because it will not matter.

After cloning - the drive will be EXACTLY the same file-system as the drive from
which it was cloned no matter what it WAS formatted as...

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

From: Patti Barden on
Thank you Tim and all members for their patience!!! Great learning curve.
Patti