From: umwhat on
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid ... I bought a new hard
drive and installed it properly to the best of my abilities and probably
installed it correctly. The first thing I did when installing Windows XP was
format the hard drive but Windows stopped installing and gave a message
something like, Windows can not finish the install. Is there a type of
problem associated with this error message. I attempted to install XP again
and began the format as before and the installation skipped that part of
install and continued to install and finished ok.
Later after a completed install with drivers and SP3 there is ometimes an
error message, firmware indicates(or similar)detected cmos battery failure. I
installed a new cmos battery , matsushima brand, and the message still
appears during start. A reboot loads Windows ok. Hi.
--
....scribble scribble scribble...
From: umwhat on
....a dull title...XP install problem with new hard drive.

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 12:40:01 -0800, umwhat
<umwhat(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid ... I bought a new hard
> drive and installed it properly to the best of my abilities and probably
> installed it correctly. The first thing I did when installing Windows XP was
> format the hard drive but Windows stopped installing and gave a message
> something like, Windows can not finish the install. Is there a type of
> problem associated with this error message. I attempted to install XP again
> and began the format as before and the installation skipped that part of
> install and continued to install and finished ok.
> Later after a completed install with drivers and SP3 there is ometimes an
> error message, firmware indicates(or similar)detected cmos battery failure. I
> installed a new cmos battery , matsushima brand, and the message still
> appears during start. A reboot loads Windows ok. Hi.

Please, when you describe a problem that has error messages, be sure
to exactly quote all the error messages verbatim, not "something like"
or "or similar."

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: umwhat on
I did not check up on the error message when it happened and forgot the exact
words but it was a short message very similar to ...Windows... or only,
install...can not finish... and the choices to Quit were on the screen. The
bios defaults were not loaded and I suppose a good idea would be to load the
defaults before installing XP and I thought maybe that was the problem.
I can run a diagnostics on the hard drive soon. It is installed a computer I
sold to someone and he has it in his home. Because it booted into Windows ok
and he was in a hurry I let him take it. But the hard drive has a 3 year
warranty and I informed the seller.
I am still interested to find out what the problem may be.

From: Tim Meddick on
I doubt whether this error message has anything to do with your hard drive or the
Window's installation problem you had.

It is more likely to do with a rubbish battery.

On replacing the battery it sometimes helps if you keep the PC plugged-in when it's
switched off, as, this way, it keeps charging.

When the power that the battery provides goes below a certain level, the data in the
CMOS memory is degraded and you get an error message similar to :

"CMOS Checksum bad / CMOS Battery Failure - Please Replace Battery"...

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)