From: Kiley on
I have a list of names in colum B, that I would like to split into column C
and D. The names in column B have a first name, middle intial and a last
name. I would like the last name to go into column c and the first name and
middle initial to go into column D.

Column B Column C Column D
Mary A Jones Jones Mary A
From: Mike H on
Hi,

Put this in column C

=RIGHT(B1,LEN(B1)-FIND("*",SUBSTITUTE(B1," ","*",LEN(B1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(B1,"
","")))))

Then this in column D

=SUBSTITUTE(B1,C1,"")

Drag both down
--
Mike

question.

From: Bernard Liengme on
To get "Jones": =MID(B1,FIND(" ",B1,FIND(" ",B1)+1)+1,LEN(B1))
to get "Mary A": =LEFT(B1,LEN(B1)-FIND(" ",B1)-1)
But these will not work if the middle initial is missing
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

From: Eduardo on
Hi In column C enter

=LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2,FIND(" ",A2)+1))

in column D

=RIGHT(A2,FIND(" ",A2))

From: Jacob Skaria on
With name in cell A1
In cell B1
=TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",REPT(" ",255)),255))

In cell C1
=LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-LEN(B1))

--
Jacob (MVP - Excel)