From: Bobbybee on
Hi out there,

I am wishing to add a group of data which is in a column but the data is
TEXT ONLY.

i.e I have a column which contains the text YES and NO. I wish to add all
the fields containing YES without having to create another column which makes
the text into a number using say an IF formula then adding that column.

Is that possible or do I have to change the text to a number using
validation or IF formula?
From: T. Valko on
Try these...

=COUNTIF(A1:A10,"yes")

=COUNTIF(A1:A10,"no")

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Bobbybee" <Bobbybee(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi out there,
>
> I am wishing to add a group of data which is in a column but the data is
> TEXT ONLY.
>
> i.e I have a column which contains the text YES and NO. I wish to add all
> the fields containing YES without having to create another column which
> makes
> the text into a number using say an IF formula then adding that column.
>
> Is that possible or do I have to change the text to a number using
> validation or IF formula?

Pages: 1
Prev: Validation and Lookup
Next: Version