From: Terence on
Interesting to see the arguments presented; especially some of the
comments about whan and why some contributers switched from F77 (or
even Fortran IV).

I think that a new entrant to Fortran SHOULD learn the latest
language, but first consider using an F77 programmer's guide as an
introduction to Fortran-whatever, in order to get the underlying
concepts across, but be pre-warned about the free form and lower case
text options that are to come. I never found that fixed-form needed
any care with columns once you knew to start in 7 and allow the
insignificant-blank concept to braek any long lines up between
operators (using 6 when necessary).

When the student has got these concepts and tried some F77-style
problem coding with success, then he an start to read one of the much
more recent guides. They REALLY are complex in my opinion. I'vee read
two, many many times and it hasn't really all sunk in, eevn if I've
written many F95 complex programs.

As others have pointed out, an F95 or F2003 "guide" can be
overwhelming in complexity.

I remember that when we had at least 16k bytes of memory, then Fortran
startered to be really useful, especilly if you could get onto an
IBM1401 or 1620 box. I think I was lucky to get the use of both of
these and also a 7040 in 1961.

I still prefer coding with F77, because, if done with two simple GUI
libraries, you can choose to compile and run in DOS, or Windows or evn
Mac Windows-emulating computers. The resulting compiled F77 code is
about one fifteenth the sie of an identical Windows mode compilation
of the same source (diffeent libraries).

I don't think you ever lose the concept of not wasting storage of
memory space when you start life so resource-limited.

From: Clive Page on
In message
<53e850b8-96a6-4274-a38e-6503ec98beb5(a)e35g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
Allamarein <matteo.diplomacy(a)gmail.com> writes
>I'm a newbie in Fortran 77. It's possible to find a manual with built-
>in statements and that show this language, without digressing too
>much?

Since someone suggested my ancient Fortran77 guide, I thought I'd better
respond. This *is* still on-line but I have had serious doubts as to
whether anything on Fortran77 ought still to be made available.

As others have said, you should be using Fortran95 - which includes
practically the whole of Fortran77 as a subset, but is simply easier to
use and much more powerful when you need the power.

A comprehensive tutorial on Fortran90/95 can be downloaded from:

http://www.liv.ac.uk/HPC/HTMLFrontPageF90.html

There are many links to other tutorials and useful documents here:

http://www.ifremer.fr/ditigo/molagnon/fortran90/engfaq.html

--
Clive Page
From: Allamarein on
On 7 Mag, 06:58, baf <b...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> On 5/6/2010 1:46 PM, Allamarein wrote:
>
> > I'm a newbie in Fortran 77. It's possible to find a manual with built-
> > in statements and that show this language, without digressing too
> > much?
>
> Silverfrost FTN95 is free for windows.
> Full Fortran 95, nice GUI IDE, very nice debugger.
>
> http://www.silverfrost.com/32/ftn95/ftn95_personal_edition.aspx

FTN95 produces a nasty banner, when I get my executable.
Other compilers for Fortran 95 without this problem?
From: Clive Page on
In message
<8a3a777f-92a2-40c7-809f-d5a1d1d7cb53(a)o14g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
Allamarein <matteo.diplomacy(a)gmail.com> writes
>FTN95 produces a nasty banner, when I get my executable.
>Other compilers for Fortran 95 without this problem?

Yes, it's the free version of a product that they want you to buy - what
do you expect?

For an open source compiler, i.e. not a commercial package, try:
g95 www.g95.org
or
gfortran http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinaries

--
Clive Page
From: A Watcher on
glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:
?

> Now, if you have a class that goes through features in an
> appropriate order, such that you learn the easier to use ones
> first, then maybe it isn't a problem. But if you pick up a
> Fortran 2003 reference manual and start reading, you will get
> confused faster than from a Fortran 77 reference manual.

That's what I was getting at. If you are learning it on your own F90/95
can be bewildering. I certainly don't suggest sticking to F77, though.
Just use it to get started.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev: proble in common