From: GaryScott on
On Jun 11, 1:53 pm, Steve Lionel <steve.lio...(a)intel.invalid> wrote:
> On 6/11/2010 10:18 AM, Luka Djigas wrote:
snip

>  > If I understand correctly, Fortran
>  > compiler recognizes fixed and free form, and that is the only
>  > difference. These extensions came upon one time when people started
>  > identifying f77 as fixed form, and f90 as free form, not realizing
>  > that they can write one or the other, in whatever form they want.
>  > I believe that from that misunderstanding spread all the other
>  > extensions as well.
>
> That's correct.  We've discussed this matter in c.l.f before.  I side
> with those who believe that it would have been better to choose a file
> type for free-form source that did not seem to be tied to a particular
> revision of the language, but that's what the industry settled on. Some
> people then chose to use the file type to also indicate which revision
> their code was written for.
>
> I can see some value in this, but think it rapidly gets out of control
> as the language advances - if you add CLASS to your Fortran 95 code does
> that mean you have to rename it .f03, and change your build scripts,
> etc.?  Do you rigorously keep the file type in synch with the earliest
> standard each source file is written for?  What if you use extensions?
> It seems a mess to me.
>
> --
> Steve Lionel
snip

I propose ".ff" for free form and ".ff" for fixed form...oh wait

..frf
..fxf

that would work...i like it...there you go, the new standard...you can
enquire about licensing it...reasonable rates
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
GaryScott <garylscott(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
(snip regarding extensions for fixed and free form Fortran)

> I propose ".ff" for free form and ".ff" for fixed form...oh wait

I think I suggested .fff (for (fixed/free) form fortran) some time ago.

> .frf
> .fxf

How about .f72 and .f132, regarding an actual parameter of
the two forms.

There never was a Fortran 72 standard. I have no idea about
one in 2132.

-- glen