From: anonymous on
Winter bewitches nature and brings magic into our life. The time of
winter dreams comes with falling flakes of fluffy snow. Decorate your
desktop for Christmas holidays. Winter magic with Free Winter Dreams
Screensaver!
http://www.filesforfree.com/freeware/free_winter_dreams_screensaver.htm

http://www.filesforfree.com/
Freeware and shareware download site

From: John Corliss on
anonymous wrote:
> Winter bewitches nature and brings magic into our life. The time of
> winter dreams comes with falling flakes of fluffy snow. Decorate your
> desktop for Christmas holidays. Winter magic with Free Winter Dreams
> Screensaver!
> http://www.filesforfree.com/freeware/free_winter_dreams_screensaver.htm
>

> http://www.filesforfree.com/
> Freeware and shareware download site

I downloaded this program's installation file, then extracted its
contents using Universal Extractor:

http://www.legroom.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Open_Source&file=index&page=software&app=uniextract

Included was the simple .scr screensaver file which runs by double
clicking on it and shuts off by hitting the escape button. The
screensaver itself simply does various transitions from one image to
another. At the top of the screen is the website address for the company
who makes the saver.

HOWEVER, also included is a program named simply "goog.exe". I was
unable to find any information about it by searching for it on the
internet, and reviewing the file properties revealed nothing about it.

Combine the presence of this bundled program with the licensing terms
for the screensaver:

"You may not alter this software in any way; you may not use or
distribute any part of the original package."

and you can see that the makers (3D Jam Team) want to be sure that the
"goog.exe" thing is always installed.

Would really like to know what "goog.exe" does, since the screensaver
runs just fine without it. Maybe it's the google toolbar?

I don't know. Anybody else have an idea what it is?

--
Regards from John Corliss. I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett. No
ad, cd, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, share, spy, time-limited or
From: anonymous on

John Corliss wrote:
> anonymous wrote:
> > Winter bewitches nature and brings magic into our life. The time of
> > winter dreams comes with falling flakes of fluffy snow. Decorate your
> > desktop for Christmas holidays. Winter magic with Free Winter Dreams
> > Screensaver!
> > http://www.filesforfree.com/freeware/free_winter_dreams_screensaver.htm
> >

> > http://www.filesforfree.com/
> > Freeware and shareware download site
>
> I downloaded this program's installation file, then extracted its
> contents using Universal Extractor:
>
> http://www.legroom.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Open_Source&file=index&page=software&app=uniextract
>
> Included was the simple .scr screensaver file which runs by double
> clicking on it and shuts off by hitting the escape button. The
> screensaver itself simply does various transitions from one image to
> another. At the top of the screen is the website address for the company
> who makes the saver.
>
> HOWEVER, also included is a program named simply "goog.exe". I was
> unable to find any information about it by searching for it on the
> internet, and reviewing the file properties revealed nothing about it.
>
> Combine the presence of this bundled program with the licensing terms
> for the screensaver:
>
> "You may not alter this software in any way; you may not use or
> distribute any part of the original package."
>
> and you can see that the makers (3D Jam Team) want to be sure that the
> "goog.exe" thing is always installed.
>
> Would really like to know what "goog.exe" does, since the screensaver
> runs just fine without it. Maybe it's the google toolbar?
>
> I don't know. Anybody else have an idea what it is?
>
> --
> Regards from John Corliss. I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett. No
> ad, cd, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, share, spy, time-limited or
> trial wares or warez for me, please.

That is the disadvantage of this screensaver.

Free 2007 Happy New Year Screen Saver
http://www.filesforfree.com/freeware/happy_new_year_screen_saver.htm

From: John Corliss on
anonymous wrote:
> John Corliss wrote:
>> anonymous wrote:
>>> Winter bewitches nature and brings magic into our life. The time of
>>> winter dreams comes with falling flakes of fluffy snow. Decorate your
>>> desktop for Christmas holidays. Winter magic with Free Winter Dreams
>>> Screensaver!
>>> http://www.filesforfree.com/freeware/free_winter_dreams_screensaver.htm
>>
>> I downloaded this program's installation file, then extracted its
>> contents using Universal Extractor:
>>
>> http://www.legroom.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Open_Source&file=index&page=software&app=uniextract
>>
>> Included was the simple .scr screensaver file which runs by double
>> clicking on it and shuts off by hitting the escape button. The
>> screensaver itself simply does various transitions from one image to
>> another. At the top of the screen is the website address for the company
>> who makes the saver.
>>
>> HOWEVER, also included is a program named simply "goog.exe". I was
>> unable to find any information about it by searching for it on the
>> internet, and reviewing the file properties revealed nothing about it.
>>
>> Combine the presence of this bundled program with the licensing terms
>> for the screensaver:
>>
>> "You may not alter this software in any way; you may not use or
>> distribute any part of the original package."
>>
>> and you can see that the makers (3D Jam Team) want to be sure that the
>> "goog.exe" thing is always installed.
>>
>> Would really like to know what "goog.exe" does, since the screensaver
>> runs just fine without it. Maybe it's the google toolbar?
>>
>> I don't know. Anybody else have an idea what it is?
>
> That is the disadvantage of this screensaver.

Excuse me, but what do yo mean by that? Are you saying that you know
what "goog.exe" does?

BTW, no need to repost the link. It's still quoted above.

From: Daniel Mandic on
John Corliss wrote:

> > That is the disadvantage of this screensaver.
>
> Excuse me, but what do yo mean by that? Are you saying that you know
> what "goog.exe" does?
>
> BTW, no need to repost the link. It's still quoted above.

hmmm, I still cannot find anything 'goog.exe' on my System.
Except the entries in the Search Assistant, of course.
Also not a search on 'My Computer'...

Nothing.

There is much other Google stuff around in the registry... :), but
where should/can I find 'goog.exe'?

Best regards,

Daniel Mandic
 |  Next  |  Last