From: Ivo Karabojkov on

Sorry I don't know what caused everyone to lose interest in my previous
post...

What may be the reason for the error:

winbindd/idmap.c:idmap_init_passdb_domain(438)
Could not init passdb idmap domain

I have another problem too:
winbindd/winbindd_user.c:winbindd_fill_pwent(97)
error getting user id for sid S-1-5..........

I tried adding passdb backend=tdbsam in my smb.conf but no result at all.
Do I have to use LDAP backend for IDMAP? Is there something with idmap:rid?

Any help or advice would be appreciated!
Ivo Karabojkov wrote:
> Sorry I don't know what caused everyone to lose interest in my previous
> post...
>
> What may be the reason for the error:
>
> winbindd/idmap.c:idmap_init_passdb_domain(438)
> Could not init passdb idmap domain
>
> I have another problem too:
> winbindd/winbindd_user.c:winbindd_fill_pwent(97)
> error getting user id for sid S-1-5..........
>
> I tried adding passdb backend=tdbsam in my smb.conf but no result at all.
> Do I have to use LDAP backend for IDMAP? Is there something with idmap:rid?
>
> Any help or advice would be appreciated!

From your smb.conf, the "idmap backend" that you have commented out is
the correct one. Try changing that, then see if there is any improvement.
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/idmapper.html#id2606608

http://groups.google.com/group/mailing.unix.samba/browse_thread/thread/48cc0808ab6fee08

#idmap backend = idmap_rid:DOMAIN=10000-100000000 [*this is the correct
one*]
idmap backend = rid
# ldap ssl = no
idmap uid = 10000-100000000
idmap gid = 10000-100000000
allow trusted domains = No
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
#
winbind refresh tickets = Yes
winbind nested groups = No
<http://groups.google.com/group/mailing.unix.samba/browse_thread/thread/48cc0808ab6fee08>

Thank you very much for your reply!

I commented the correct line in my tries to get this working.
I have partial success WITHOUT idmap backend, with following smb.conf:

[global]
netbios name = SERVER
workgroup = DOMAIN
realm = DOMAIN.LOCAL
server string = Samba Server
security = ADS
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
log level = 1
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/%m
max log size = 50
# printcap name = CUPS
ldap ssl = no
idmap uid = 10000-20000
idmap gid = 10000-20000
# template primary group = "Domain Users" // seems no longer supported
template shell = /sbin/nologin
# winbind separator = + // backslash is OK for me
# printing = cups

hosts allow = 192.168.1. 10.1.55. 127.0.0.1
interfaces = localhost, nfe0
bind interfaces only = Yes

[pub]
comment = Public
path = /var/samba/pub
guest ok = No
browseable = Yes

I can join the AD, see users with wbinfo -u and I can not find the users
with getent passwd!
I can still chown a folder stating "DOMAIN\user or group" and in ls -l
owner:group is displayed OK.

When I add:
idmap backend = idmap_rid:DOMAIN=10000-100000000
I get the warning: [2009/11/12 23:17:45, 1]
winbindd/idmap.c:parse_idmap_module(244)
idmap_init: idmap backend uses deprecated 'idmap_' prefix. Please replace
'idmap_rid:DOMAIN=10000-100000000' by 'rid:DOMAIN=10000-100000000'

Now I see only uid/gid for previously chowned directory, no users with
getent ... Changing the syntax according to message changes nothing.
winbindd log shows something like:
[2009/11/12 23:19:20, 1] winbindd/winbindd_group.c:getgrgid_recv(1015)
could not convert gid 10005 to sid

I have my partial success back commenting the idmap backend.

I still can't see all domain users / groups neither with getent nor pw
usershow -a

Sorry for my triple answer, the message was rejected by the mailing list last
few days and I tried to resend it over and over again.