From: Warren Block on
Finally got around to writing up a short document on setting up lpd
printing on FreeBSD. Parallel, USB, and network printers are included,
along with some simple filtering.

http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/lpdprinting.pdf

From: Bob Eager on
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 17:05:54 +0000, Warren Block wrote:

> Finally got around to writing up a short document on setting up lpd
> printing on FreeBSD. Parallel, USB, and network printers are included,
> along with some simple filtering.
>
> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/lpdprinting.pdf

Thanks, Warren. I'd add one simplification (perhaps). To create the spool
directory (or many) just use:

chkprintcap -d

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

From: Warren Block on
Bob Eager <rde42(a)spamcop.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 17:05:54 +0000, Warren Block wrote:
>
>> Finally got around to writing up a short document on setting up lpd
>> printing on FreeBSD. Parallel, USB, and network printers are included,
>> along with some simple filtering.
>>
>> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/lpdprinting.pdf
>
> Thanks, Warren. I'd add one simplification (perhaps). To create the spool
> directory (or many) just use:
>
> chkprintcap -d

Wow, I had no idea chkprintcap could do anything more than, well, check
printcap. Using it to create the directory would be easier but doesn't
show what it's doing.

It's nice that it sets the directory owner and group to daemon. I
forgot that... and have now added it.

Thanks!