From: Oliver Schonrock on
Hi Alex

You are probably aware of the discussion
here:http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=5132

Obviously php5.3 is major upgrade which breaks some backwards compatibility:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/migration53.incompatible.php

and poses some new challenges for compiling the ports eg for the new native
mysql driver for the mysql(i)/PDO extensions:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/mysqlnd.install.php

We are very active users of the php ports, are keen to upgrade to 5.3 (and
5.3.1 when released) and wanted to offer our help in testing of the new ports
if that's helpful.

Do you plan to create a php53 set of ports or just update the php5 set?

How far have you got?

Kind Regards

--
Oliver Schonrock

From: Alex Dupre on
Oliver Schonrock ha scritto:
> Do you plan to create a php53 set of ports or just update the php5 set?

The plan is to update the current set of php5 ports. The update is quite
ready, but one important piece is missing: Zend Optimizer.
This waiting time will also allow developers to make their application
compatible with php 5.3.x.

--
Alex Dupre

From: Miroslav Lachman on
Alex Dupre wrote:
> Oliver Schonrock ha scritto:
>> Do you plan to create a php53 set of ports or just update the php5 set?
>
> The plan is to update the current set of php5 ports. The update is quite
> ready, but one important piece is missing: Zend Optimizer.
> This waiting time will also allow developers to make their application
> compatible with php 5.3.x.

So you don't plan to leave 5.2.x version in ports for people who need to
maintain servers in production with many clients and many 'old' web
applications?

Miroslav Lachman

From: Alex Dupre on
Miroslav Lachman ha scritto:
> So you don't plan to leave 5.2.x version in ports for people who need to
> maintain servers in production with many clients and many 'old' web
> applications?

Like we don't have ports for php 5.0 and 5.1, I'll not maintain ports
for 5.2 when the switchover will take place. As you can see here
(http://www.php.net/manual/en/migration53.incompatible.php) there aren't
many incompatible changes.

--
Alex Dupre

From: Miroslav Lachman on
Alex Dupre wrote:
> Miroslav Lachman ha scritto:
>> So you don't plan to leave 5.2.x version in ports for people who need to
>> maintain servers in production with many clients and many 'old' web
>> applications?
>
> Like we don't have ports for php 5.0 and 5.1, I'll not maintain ports
> for 5.2 when the switchover will take place. As you can see here
> (http://www.php.net/manual/en/migration53.incompatible.php) there aren't
> many incompatible changes.

I know there were not repo copy of older versions of PHP, but I think
this is where FreeBSD is loosing some points on "enterprise" market
against some other server OS distributions.
I know it is all about mans power and I am not trying to put some
pressure on you. Maintaining ports is not simple task and I know you are
maintainer of lot of them.
I am just thinking that it would be better if we can have versions of
PHP as with Apache [1.3, 2.0, 2.2] or MySQL [3.23, 4.0, 4.1, 5.0, 5.1,
5.4, 6.0 = all well maintained by you, of course ;)], or Postfix, Perl,
Python... so users and companies can stick longer time with "what is
well tested and working in production". (same as we have choice of
FreeBSD versions ~ 6.3, 6.4, 7.1, 7.2 + 8.0 in the near future)

Even if there are just a "few" incompatibilities, it means some clients
applications on webhosting will stop working and clients will scream on
helpline right after the update of the servers PHP...

I know it is not your problem etc., it is just a real world scenario of
some near future days ;)

So in my opinion it would be benefical to users if ports infrastructure
can handle all vendor supported branches for any port. PHP is just an
example in this case.

Miroslav Lachman

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2